TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
90 sc 460 said:
So what happened to that THUNDERBIRD , cause I'm gonna do that or a 5.3L DOHC motor on the bird I'm buying.
The owner travels a lot, on business, has closed up the frame rails , and continues to work on it periodically.... that is a 5.4 L DOHC .... I have never heard of a 5.3 L DOHC ford, and in another post you also referred to another wierd displacement. Lotsa guys are gonna , woulda, coulda, but somehow , youre not consistent with your numbers, etc. If you in fact have a blown 460 bird what on earth would possess you to want to do a 5.4?.... kinda wonder what youre talking about half the time , you know, sorta like a wanna be , or something :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
The owner travels a lot, on business, has closed up the frame rails , and continues to work on it periodically.... that is a 5.4 L DOHC .... I have never heard of a 5.3 L DOHC ford, and in another post you also referred to another wierd displacement. Lotsa guys are gonna , woulda, coulda, but somehow , youre not consistent with your numbers, etc. If you in fact have a blown 460 bird what on earth would possess you to want to do a 5.4?.... kinda wonder what youre talking about half the time , you know, sorta like a wanna be , or something :D
there are stroker kits for the 4.6L by at least 4 companes, a 4.9, 5.0 ,5.1 , 5.2 , 5.3 . and you can go to www.sccoa.com and look up PRO STOCK RICH and see my engine with your own eyes. But I would still like to talk to him for my other car.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You mean Pro STREET Rich... I can only assume that because he is the big block guy. Hows about a link to it?

Chris

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
90 sc 460 said:
there are stroker kits for the 4.6L by at least 4 companes, a 4.9, 5.0 ,5.1 , 5.2 , 5.3 . and you can go to www.sccoa.com and look up PRO STOCK RICH and see my engine with your own eyes. But I would still like to talk to him for my other car.
Ooh! you mean all those magazine motors !! well , strokers will fit muuuch better than a real 5.4, due deck height, and there are more options for an intake that way with the smaller 4.6 block, but ..... most stroker engines end up having a few more drawbacks due to the lower deck height, xtra cost, piston height issues , etc. :rolleyes: ... however to each his own . You can also get a few weird displacements with big bore, and they work waaaay better, but sooo pricey!See Your engine? the one in your car? just post a pic, unless its one youre "gonna " do/buy?
As for pro stock Rich , I couldnt find him, there is, however a Pro street Rich there, but izzat you? do you have his old car? what exactly has that got to do with you? I do not understand?? ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Woa...Talk about tired. I thought your last post asked for a new thread on this to be started....Wow...What a difference a day makes.

On that note, You are correct. I am not sure what happened but if we are quiet, maybee he wont notice...

Chris

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Miller. Did this ever get finished? Last I heard (not sure if it was him or you that told me), he said he had lost interest in the car. But that was just after Jake passed.

SWS

·
Banned
28 Posts
5.4 Dohc In A Tbird

As one of the original starters of this thread, I figured I would tell you good people what happened.
Mark P...... and I succeeded in installing a navigator 5.4L DOHC in a TBird. We planned to use Australian upper and lower intakes and a custom tune. The only stumbling block was the steering linkage. We were going to investigate a company called Flaming River Steering Components but never did. We both lost our jobs within 6 months of each other and decided to table the project.

What we proved is that the engine fits fine. No problems what-so-ever. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Eventually the plan is to use a GT500 supercharger setup on the Navi motor but with no funds..............................

F.Y.I. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yep, those Focuses... Foci... whatever, are why I said that. It does indeed fit, and it can be made to work... but if it fits but doesn't work, then that's not much use.
I'll admit, I thought about shoving a 4.6 in the 02 I had not too long ago. Then logic kicked in.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
As one of the original starters of this thread, I figured I would tell you good people what happened.
Mark P...... and I succeeded in installing a navigator 5.4L DOHC in a TBird. We planned to use Australian upper and lower intakes and a custom tune. The only stumbling block was the steering linkage. We were going to investigate a company called Flaming River Steering Components but never did. We both lost our jobs within 6 months of each other and decided to table the project.

What we proved is that the engine fits fine. No problems what-so-ever. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Eventually the plan is to use a GT500 supercharger setup on the Navi motor but with no funds..............................

F.Y.I. Thanks for the interest.
So I guess the cutting of major structural members isnt an issue :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
WOW, who died and made you king?
Looks like we ruffled some "feathers" on the ThunderBIRD site!!

You can believe me or not doesn't matter to me.
chill....its what the smiley face is for :)

·
Banned
28 Posts
5.4l in a Tbrd

So I guess the cutting of major structural members isnt an issue :rolleyes:
Mark went his own way, after I became unemployed, and cut out the areas shown in an effort to use Kooks headers and clear the steering shaft.
If the frame rails were reinforced by adding steel along the area that was cut, they would be OK. If you use the right headers, you do not need to cut out those areas. You may need to modify either the header or use some sort of steering adapter.
The issue that this forum created at that time was only whether or not a 5.4 4V would fit in the engine bay. Anyone who says "it wont fit" is wrong!

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts
Wow; all that drama over a car that never ran.

Cut structural members, in a flexible unibody construction...

Miller's infamous cut and welded monstrosity of an intake...

As far as "it fits": I've ridden in a 4x4 with a Pantera body on it that fit; was that the best use and design for that application? No.

Wow. :(

61 - 80 of 508 Posts