TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40k trans cooler.. the things is pretty decent in size. Should I just bypass the trans cooler on the side of the radiator or keep using it. Not sure if it will do much good. What you guys think... :confused:

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
I used only a trans cooler for about 7K miles b-4 I sold my bird due to a cracked radiator... Only downfall I noticed is when it is cold out...The trans temp takes forever to get up to where it should be. (I am talking when it is 40 degrees or colder).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If I remember right What I did with mine is disconnected the lines going into the rad. and ran them to the cooler.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think id really drive it when its that cold anyways.. I think ill just do that and clean up all the trans lines running everywhere.. thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Just bypass it. If it takes a while for the trans to get up to temp, just do a stall test for about 10 seconds and that will warm up the fluid to operating temp right away.

Mike

·
Registered
414 Posts
Run both coolers in series. Pressure line to the factory radiator cooler, to the air cooler and back to trans.

This warms up fluid quicker. Better for short trips and still maintains fluid temperature when you are stopped.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i thought i heard as well as keeping it cool, it can harm it to keep it cool for too long? you want it at operating temp, just like the engine.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does have a 3800stall TC so getting it up to temp isnt a problem

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I run just a 24,000 cooler on my C6, and after a decent drive somewhere, I can hold the cooler lines....should be fine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a Cobra radiator and it has no tank cooler/warmer. I have a 40k standalone cooler. Like said before it takes a long time to heat the fluid when cold. I do have the bypass installed, but it only helps when it is real cold outside - below freezing. It runs about 185 when it is real hot outside and running the AC. I had a 24k cooler and it doesn't cut it by itself in the heat of the summer.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I have a 11"x10" cooler, forget the rating but it is plumbed directly to the trans as my Cobra rad doesn't support trans cooling (to me, this is good no cooler=less chance of leakage). In the summer, cruising I see 150-160* temps going into the cooler, if I get on it for a while the temp would rise to 180-190* then settle down about 175* again. Winter, it stays around 150* and driving in manual 2 gear for a few minutes will warm it fairly quickly if it's cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts