1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
131 Posts
How many miles on the engine? Did the shorty headers fit well? Did you ever try long tubes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less than 100 miles on the engine. Got the project done, had a tree fall on the car during a storm and crush the roof and passenger door. Slowly worked to fix things and realized that I have spent enough money on this project, so time to cut bait. The shorty headers require moving the steering shaft. I think 392 bird had the article here that I copied. The cross member had to be notched for the oil pan and I had to put about 1/4" of washers between the cross member and the body to get the motor to fit. However, it did fit under the stock hood which made it an amazing amazing sleeper. If you find yourself serious about the motor, and plan to put it in a T bird, I still have the car here and could pull the steering shaft mod parts off for you.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I thought I got a killer deal winning the radiator for $42.00. I not thinking that any more. Both side tanks are pushed in pretty hard and the top mounting posts seemed to have been cut off...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I thought I got a killer deal winning the radiator for $42.00. I not thinking that any more. Both side tanks are pushed in pretty hard and the top mounting posts seemed to have been cut off...
Yeah .. it almost looks like the original Ebay listing pictures were intentionally angled to not show the cut off mounts ( for a custom application of course ) .. well, aside from that it was still a $500 radiator originally. IDK seems like you got what you paid for ?

·
Super Moderator
17,044 Posts
Yeah .. it almost looks like the original Ebay listing pictures were intentionally angled to not show the cut off mounts ( for a custom application of course ) .. well, aside from that it was still a $500 radiator originally. IDK seems like you got what you paid for ?
+1 a dented side tank won’t hurt anything and mounts can be easily improvised. You paid $60 shipped for a 3 row all aluminum radiator, considering a new stock radiator costs $83+ shipping I’d still say it’s a killer deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts
Take that $60, take it to a radiator shop to get it fixed ... even at $100 more, you're at $160, and not a bad price at all for a 3 tube all aluminum radiator!

(I've got an all aluminum coming, albeit not a Griffin, for Ruby Jean as I'm rebuilding her.)

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
I hope you ordered a FLUIDYNE Ralph. I couldn’t be happier with mine. They still have the core that I provided to them to use as as a template.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Had he stated or shown that the mounts were cut off, that would be a different story. The only status description that was here or on eBay was “used” and “good quality used”. Dented tanks- fine- that’s used (but real pictures would have been nice). But to omit that 2 of the 4 mounting brackets are cut off? That seems scummy. Am I wrong here?

And I would have happily paid quite a bit more, but there were no other bidders. But if I would have know that it had missing mounts, regardless if they could be “easily improvised” by some people, I probably would have passed on the sale.

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Yea, it's scummy. But hey, its the internet. Cavet Emptor.

As Matt said, you still got a good radiator for a good price. You want new, buy new. You have questions or concerns, ask before you buy.

Rhino. Shame on you.

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts
I hope you ordered a FLUIDYNE Ralph. I couldn’t be happier with mine. They still have the core that I provided to them to use as as a template.
Well, no; I couldn't afford one, not at those rates.

Not that wasn't a great deal for one, now! Just out of my ballpark pricewise.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
What kind did you end up getting?

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,044 Posts
Had he stated or shown that the mounts were cut off, that would be a different story. The only status description that was here or on eBay was “used” and “good quality used”. Dented tanks- fine- that’s used (but real pictures would have been nice). But to omit that 2 of the 4 mounting brackets are cut off? That seems scummy. Am I wrong here?

And I would have happily paid quite a bit more, but there were no other bidders. But if I would have know that it had missing mounts, regardless if they could be “easily improvised” by some people, I probably would have passed on the sale.
Well, I’ll give you $62 shipped for it:tongue:

I’m not sure I can even get on board with calling it scummy. You know how aftermarket parts often “fit” these cars, there’s a pretty good chance the mounts that were there were about as useful as they are now, and the OP lopped them off for better fitment, may be the same case with the dented side tanks. At the end of the day this radiator was installed in a running car for presumably many years before being recently parted. “Good used condition” on a mechanical item is just that, it works as it should but don’t expect it to be like NOS, this is salvage terminology, you buy this from U-pull-it it would be considered good used condition(and cost about what you paid).

Now could/should rhino have been more detailed in the description? Yes! But I can only speak from my own experience that just about every aftermarket part on my car needed to be tweaked in one way or another to fit and function properly, and if the choice between listing something like this as “good used condition” and “damaged”, I’d pick the former, because it definitively fits our obscure chassis and does not in fact have any damage to the all important core, which is all that matters with a used radiator.

That you would have hypothetically bid more is irrelevant, you got a good deal in reality, and given the limited market for these cars there was a pretty good chance you’d not get outbid anyway. The OP got $42 for a radiator he originally paid $500 for, you won.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry you feel this way. And I am sorry that people have to call this scummy. The radiator is in the exact condition it was when I bought it. It fit in my 97 T bird fine with some custom top tab mounts for ten years and never leaked. Anytime someone can get a MSRP $850 radiator for $42 still seems like a deal to me. Feel free to continue to bash my fine quality used products as you see fit. And for taking the pictures to not show the tabs, I took the pictures to not show my flip flops, but welcome to the internet of experts, thank you Al Gore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts