TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good or bad? Should I put used ones in? I live in the south so there's not a lot of rust problems like in the northern states from salt and snow. Thanks all!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing is that theyre too damned expensive lol. Haven't seen you on the site lately Darren!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If the used are new enough I would say ok. I bought some new Ford front O2s for $55 for both fronts from a guy on Corral that seemed to have plenty of them a while back. Mine were working, but after 125k I figured they could use replacing. I threw away the old ones figuring who would want to do that much work to put in some old ones.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Is it true that it's recommended that the O2's be replaced at 100,000 miles?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the used are new enough I would say ok. I bought some new Ford front O2s for $55 for both fronts from a guy on Corral that seemed to have plenty of them a while back. Mine were working, but after 125k I figured they could use replacing. I threw away the old ones figuring who would want to do that much work to put in some old ones.
Well how hard is it? I looked earlier and I saw them when I looked down on the rear passenger side of the engine....not from underneath so much. Also, After running the bird for a couple hours, and it started rattling/knocking. I checked the oil and the dipstick was searing hot and it was low by about a half quart.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not sure about the oil unless it is running so lean that it is getting hot.

As I remember one of my O2s was a little difficult to get out, but not that bad. You can't use a regular socket because of the wires. There is a special socket with a slot, but I don't think there was enough room to get it on. I am pretty sure I just used an end wrench with another wrench for leverage.

New ones have a thread sealant on it. If you get used ones, you might want to put some thread sealant on there so it doesn't get rusted in.

I ran the car for a minute from cold to warm up the pipes a little. Seems I read that somewhere that they were easier to get out that way.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about the oil unless it is running so lean that it is getting hot.

As I remember one of my O2s was a little difficult to get out, but not that bad. You can't use a regular socket because of the wires. There is a special socket with a slot, but I don't think there was enough room to get it on. I am pretty sure I just used an end wrench with another wrench for leverage.

New ones have a thread sealant on it. If you get used ones, you might want to put some thread sealant on there so it doesn't get rusted in.

I ran the car for a minute from cold to warm up the pipes a little. Seems I read that somewhere that they were easier to get out that way.
Will the o2 sensors and EGR valve from a 96/97 fit on a 94/95?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I believe the O2s will work. Seems like the new ones I got were good for many years newer than my 95.

Can't say about the EGR, but since the intakes are different I am thinking no on the EGR.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe the O2s will work. Seems like the new ones I got were good for many years newer than my 95.

Can't say about the EGR, but since the intakes are different I am thinking no on the EGR.
Both AutoZone and O'Reilly's list different EGR valves and O2 sensors for 1997 and 1994 Thunderbirds.

Dennis

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:( So that's a no go huh? That blows..... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Rockauto also had different numbers.

I found the ad from the guy I got my 2 new Ford O2 Sensors from. This is what the ad said.
O2 sensors for 4.6 engines, 2 and 4 valve models. These O2's will fit ANY 4 wire application, V8-V6 ect. The plug end MAY require some simple modification to fit in your O2 loom end, it is easy to do with a sharp knife, simply trim off the guide tabs on the end of the O2 plug end. They will work on ANY 4.6 car.

Based on that I think the O2s from a 96 will work.

·
3,734 Posts
Is there any recommended brand of O2's to use for a '96 4.6 Tbird? Bosch any good?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is there any recommended brand of O2's to use for a '96 4.6 Tbird? Bosch any good?
I would think that any well-known name-brand would be a good choice!

Their both wrong, I'm using 02's for a 94 on my 97 harness and PCM. They work just fine.
THAT doesn't surprise me! You have NO idea how many times I've been given wrong parts for my '97 Thunderbird! :mad:

Dennis

·
3,734 Posts
Now, if I were to replace my O2's, should I replace the sensors behind the catalysts also?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts