TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all!

I'm going to be looking at a complete set of PI heads from a 2003 Mustang for a PI swap I'm looking to do in the future on my 1995 4.6. Owner states 60k miles. I know nothing to look for as far as condition or warning signs. Guy wants $175. Any advice or what to look for would be sooooo appreciated!

Casting #'s are RF1L2E-6090 D24D

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Check the cam bore for excessive wear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, will do! Are these heads prone to warpage or cracks? Any thing else to check for?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
If you got them, I would take them to a machine shop and have them cleaned and inspected for warping and such. I would also replace the valve stem seals =)

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you got them, I would take them to a machine shop and have them cleaned and inspected for warping and such. I would also replace the valve stem seals =)
x a million

I would ALWAYS do this. Much easier to do before you put them on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK guys... I got them. From top to bottom completely assembled, they look mint but I will still send them to the machine shop as 'yall mentioned and definitely take the advice of the valve stem seals. Now I just need to find a good deal on an NP intake!!!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Take off the cam caps/girdles and check for wear/groves, under the cams, especially toward the front near the timing gear.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Ive scrapped PI heads before .. timing chain wore down completely and camshaft wore out the rearmost bore. Not repairable.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
can a machine shop fix them if they are? or are they shot
some machine shops claim that they can be fixed but it would require a reweld and align hone in order to correct, honestly once the cam bores are wrecked the heads are junk.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
some machine shops claim that they can be fixed but it would require a reweld and align hone in order to correct, honestly once the cam bores are wrecked the heads are junk.
yup...gotta be reeeaaallll careful when buying heads off a mustang, especially when they're that cheap.....gotta look at the cam bores (and know what to look for of course) to be sure

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup...gotta be reeeaaallll careful when buying heads off a mustang, especially when they're that cheap.....gotta look at the cam bores (and know what to look for of course) to be sure
Yep, I wouldnt have known the cam bores were worn if I seen them. Guess I'll have to wait til I can get them over the machine shop and just cross my fingers.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Why can't a machine shop just line bore the cam bores bigger and fit bearings in the oversize holes for the cam to ride on? That's how we do rods and mains and the old cam bores.

I called my machinist and asked him that same question. He said that it was counter-productive to do that because of the expense involved. He said by the time you do all that to your bad head, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new head. :zdunno:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Someone might want to do that on a Cobra R head or one that has a lot of modifications to it, but for the amount of time/money it would take to redo the head that way, it would be cheaper to just buy an new one.

Does anyone even make bearing inserts for the 4.6L head to "repair" the cam journals? I know they do on some other engines, but I haven't heard about any on the 4.6L.

I always felt the concept of having the cam ride directly on the head was just a silly idea. One little speck of dirt and you've ruined a head. :zbash:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Someone might want to do that on a Cobra R head or one that has a lot of modifications to it, but for the amount of time/money it would take to redo the head that way, it would be cheaper to just buy an new one.

Does anyone even make bearing inserts for the 4.6L head to "repair" the cam journals? I know they do on some other engines, but I haven't heard about any on the 4.6L.

I always felt the concept of having the cam ride directly on the head was just a silly idea. One little speck of dirt and you've ruined a head. :zbash:
They technically aren't bearings, they are like-bearing surfaces, basically really really refined polished aluminum surface area, they don't have bearings per say. They have lubrication holes which with neglect glogs which causes the excessive wear usually found, the caps can be cut down and then the heads can be align honed but it can throw off timing, the "proper" way to repair them would be to re-weld a surface area and align hone it after, but even then it would never be 100% perfect. So there is no proper way. I agree that on much more expensive heads 1500-2500 or incredibly rare heads such as cobra R heads, australia heads, svo heads, ect...it might be worth the custom timing or chance of re-weld and hone, but on stock PI heads the labor cost, difficulty of the job, risk, and chances of finding a competent shop capable it's just not worth it. There are no inserts for these heads because they weren't made to accept them. Trickflow figured it out and got it right by making replacable cam girdles and bridges in their twisted flow head, so that you can protect your investment.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts