TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a computer case fan that is like almost 3.5" both ways...I wanted to use it for cooling my amp but I don't know how to wire it and make it actually run......how many volts will I need? Can I run it from the battery or would I have to make some type of battery pack to switch on and off? BTW it has 3 wires.........black, red, yellow

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
MO_XR7 said:
I got a computer case fan that is like almost 3.5" both ways...I wanted to use it for cooling my amp but I don't know how to wire it and make it actually run......how many volts will I need? Can I run it from the battery or would I have to make some type of battery pack to switch on and off? BTW it has 3 wires.........black, red, yellow
Computer fans are 12volt. I'm guessing you have an 80mm fan (3.15 inches) and that fan has a speed sensor on it (third wire). Without looking at the pin out of the fan though I couldn't tell you which color is which (yellow should be 12v, black ground)

You'll burn up the speed sensor if you hook 12v to it, but if you aren't going to use it in a computer then it won't matter.

Personally I'd go with a couple 120mm (4.72 inches) fans as they will push more air with less sound (as if the subs won't drown it out anyway.)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
i dunno, 12v blacklight bulbs don't work without some little chip/diodes/whatever that they have to go through first. tried it on my friend's sub box and it didn't work until we added the "chip"

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
93pimpin said:
i dunno, 12v blacklight bulbs don't work without some little chip/diodes/whatever that they have to go through first. tried it on my friend's sub box and it didn't work until we added the "chip"
Neon will need a transformer no matter the application. Taking an automotive neon and snipping the end off of it and hooking it up to a pc power supply works just fine. Doing vise/versa would work as well as long as the transformer is included.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
this worked on either AA batteries or car batteries and I got it at Spencer gifts. this wasn't a walmart or street glow one, but I know what you're talking about. we got some hot(neon) wirez from walmart and put it into a chevy bowtie for my friend and we hooked it up to his driving lights. looks cool but he had to drill through his hood:rolleyes:. those chevy boys will never learn. but it does look cool, you'd have to do the same thing for that light-up ford symbol.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i went to the movies last night and parked next to a baretta that no one was near. so i assumed they were in a movie. well, the bowtie on the front of the car just sat there flashing white the whole time i was near my car. it was the dumbest freakin thing i've ever seen

·
Registered
178 Posts
put a variable resistor in series with the fan.

The fan is DC so it is voltage speed controlled. Putting a pot in there will let you control the speed. If you really wanted to do some sexy stuff, you could use a thermistor and a transistor for a temperature controlled turn on and turn off application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts