TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few tan stains in the paint of my cougar, A white 95. I figured i should try a clay bar, i have never used one before so i know after i wash the cat i should use the bar on its flat braud side. My question is after i use the bar, what would i use to remove the cay bar's material left on the car? Doe's anyone have any advice on this please let me know.
SAL MR95XR7.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
i just used a cloth polish towel to remove whatever was left over after spraying and clay'ing the car. same way you remove wax, buff it out or use a dry polish towel.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There should be very little if any clay left. The clay glides on top of whatever you use (either the detail spray they usually come with, or a heavy dishwashing liquid mix), and only places that you hit dry or for some reason the clay touched the paint.

I just got done using a clay bar on my 2000 Grand Marquis and my 97 Cougar, the 89 got it done a few months ago, (it is not a clear coat car) and I am beat!

I used the quick detailer spray that came with the bar I got, Meguires I think. After I do a section and can tell that all the particles imbedded in the clear/paint are gone, I buff it with a terry towel or a microfiber towel, depends on what I have and which car. I then put on a polish (Nu Finish) was the car again, and put on a coat of Meguires NXT wax, then another coat of NXT wax, and the cars look like they should.

I hadn't done the 97 ever, and i have owned it a year and a half, I had to do the 2000 Grand Marquis because the wife wore the rear brakes down to metal on metal, and I had rust spots appearing on the bumper, the plastic bumper, so the metal was melting into the clear/paint/plastic and rusting.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wash the car & leave it wet, then clay bar it, using extra water for lube.
Then after you are done useing the clay bar, wash the car again.
Dry the car very well then wax or polish then wax.
I prefer to do a SSR (from Poorboys) then polish then wax.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I don't like to leave the car wet because it will start gathering dust unless you do this when it is raining or you live where there is no dust or trees. I agree that washing it after you clar bar it and before you polish/wax it is a good idea. I did that on my 89, with it not being a clear coat car it takes a bunch of stuff to get it to look good, but teh paint is getting thin in places, so I will have to give up on getting it shiney pretty soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts