TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone seeing headgasket issues on the 96 or 97's. Found a few for my daughter in town several with pretty low mileage. Any thing else on the 96 and 97u I need to look for.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Not really the biggest concerns for the 96-97 were headgaskets for the 3.8L's and intake manifolds for the 4.6L's I've also heard of motor mount problems with the 3.8's but never seen a bad set in person.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
well, the 96-7 3.8's have a better design, so they are less prone to fail. but it does happen. when my 94 went, i swapped in a 97 and it's still kickin ass and i drive it like i stole it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I replaced the intake manifold gasket at about 160,000 miles. I am currently at 241,000 and haven't had any head gasket issues. The fuel line near the tank rubbed thru and leaked like a sieve. I see the tell tale rust spot on several birds so I am inclined to think that it is a common issue.

Sean

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I spun a bearing on my 96 and head never went south.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I have to ditto what Sean (RESET) said. I've replaced the intake gasket and had the same fuel line problem. The fuel line isn't the same as other models but put a piece of rubber hose around the fuel line in that area, and no problem.

I've also had to replace the charcoal canister and valve assembly for the fuel vapor system. The canisters are the same for all 89 to 97 birds/cougars.

One thing I WOULD schedule if you buy the bird for the daughter is a mild JMod (Leave the 1-2 lower spring in unless she like the hot rod feel), new transmission filter, and transmission cooler. One other little thing would be to get a oil filter relocation kit from Summit. You can then use a FL1A filter and have an easier time changing oil yourself.

Oh, If you have a few extra sheckles, replace all the bulbs in the instrument cluster, dome light, and A/C control with LEDs. You won't believe the difference for the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts