TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to frag a wheel bearing on my passenger side rear, or perhaps the cv joints themselves, the car screeches like a worn out brake pad with a warped rotor while moving, constant and speed sensitive, hard cornering and braking instantly silenced the issue. On the highway the screech went away an a loud growling like super swamper tires occured as well.

Turned out the axle nut was finger tight. :(. Since my $50 project car isn't registered I removed the low mileage unit complete (half shaft, hub, bearing, knuckle). My question is how long will it last if I'm not slapping drag radials on it and spinning it to redline at the track? Will this last until I can replace it with another mark viii or SC fatshaft? Basically I need to be able to drive my 25 mile commute to work and the additional 25 miles home 4 days a week until I can afford the replacement.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
If it fits, it'll last
if I'm not slapping drag radials on it and spinning it to redline at the track?
I've got a car sitting in back with 300kmiles says so.

If you dont give it more than it'd get from the stock 3.8

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I drove my 7.5"-rear-equipped '90 'Bird with stock half shafts and open rear for three and a half years with a 5.0L and it never so much as complained. Beat on it pretty good once in a while, too, and the only thing I have to show for it is worn bushings.

I think there's something of a myth surrounding the fragility of the drive trains in these things. If you're not out-and-out hammering on things, they'll be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts