TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the differences on the transmissions for the v6 and v8 birds. I have a couple of people telling that i can put a v6 tranny in my 5.0 car. This kinda seemed odd to me. Even if it would match up, wouldn't the v6 tranny be made lighter and not as strong as the one for the 5.0s. Also..would a tranny for a 4.6 work in a 5.0 car? I am not very intelligent in the transmission field of cars so i came to ask the experts. My tranny I currently have in it right now only gets into second. If i have it in overdrive the engine will run free of the transmission doing pretty much nothing. i have to keep it in regular drive and it never gets into second. First gear also hesitates for a few seconds before it goes in. I can drive the car for now, but am just worrying for the time when she goes. I have a couple of leads on parts cars...but they are all v6 transmissions.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You can't use a 4r70w unless you can get one from a 94-97 v6 then rebuild it to v8 specs. EDIT: you would also need an EEC from a 94 or 95 auto Gt stang, and the wiring harness.
You can use any AOD, but ones from a v6 will need to be rebuilt to v8 specs, or it will need to be rebuilt shortly. You won't need a new driveshaft, as all AODs are the same dimensions.

The difference is the amount of clutches, and the rates of a couple springs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts