TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help, my car sounds like a, hurts to say this, a CIVIC. Last night I bought 22 inch long 3 inch diameter tips and sliced off my stock muffler on my V8 94' LX. I am not saying my car sounds bad, sounds like a pissed off Civic, but being that my car has a huge healthy V8, I would like it to sound like a Pissed off Thunderbird.

Here is my plan, it isn't the best plan due to my VERY limited budget, but I hope to put 2.5 diameter pipe in replacement of the resenator and everything back, and if it is possible only one 40 or 50 Flowmaster. Will that sound mean and not resonate the relatively non-V8 sounding boys choir like drone. I want deep and throaty. Plus should I keep the third cat?

Limited Budget= 170-200 dollars

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe it is the 3" tips. I did the same thing you did excpet that I used 2.25" tips. The car has a low, mellow rumble now.

Preston

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i have gutted cats, a delta flowmaster 40series in place of the resonator, and 2.5" tips out the back. it sounds mean, it's pretty loud, and it sounds like a V8. but it's not as LOUD as i'd like it. im still too young appreciate 'quietness'

·
8,239 Posts
dynomax catback with deleted resonator and a RM intake tube.

Sounds great, silent at idle, but has a good growl. Never annoying.

JH

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
JustinH said:
dynomax catback with deleted resonator and a RM intake tube.

Sounds great, silent at idle, but has a good growl. Never annoying.

JH
My exact setup. I love it. Could be just a bit deeper, but very good.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
birdmandan said:

Here is my plan, it isn't the best plan due to my VERY limited budget, but I hope to put 2.5 diameter pipe in replacement of the resenator and everything back, and if it is possible only one 40 or 50 Flowmaster. Will that sound mean and not resonate the relatively non-V8 sounding boys choir like drone. I want deep and throaty. Plus should I keep the third cat?

Limited Budget= 170-200 dollars
Your plan sounds like the setup Seabass had a long time ago.

Basicly if you had the money you get rid of the stock cats and put high flows in. If not leave stock ones. Then you replace the third cat with a "Y" pipe. In your case to save more money you can leave it if you want. Better sound probably without it if it is allowed in your state. Then you replace the resinator with your choice of muffler. Then a "Y" after that to two tips out the back. You can probably get a dynomax or flowmaster muffler for around $50-65 and then just have a shop instal that where the resinator is and then go to two pipes after that and use the tips you bought to go outt he back. The setup (after you give the a muffler because they will probably mark it up if you get it from them) should be $150-250.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seabass's setup will now be my setup also. I went to midas and asked to have my resenator replaced with a FlowMaster 40 and the moron said he can't get that to fit.
But when I told him that many people squeeze them in and they sound like a Mustang GT he replied with, "there is no way that your 4.6L is going to sound like a Mustang GT's 5 litre engine." Who knew GTs were 5.0, not me. :uppoint:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
the mustang gt hasn't had a 5.0 in it since 95.. you know how many people i run into that still don't know that???

it's like.. hey buddy.. there was a reason that from 96-98 they had 4.6L GT badges on them...

numnuts....

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
I'm probably chiming in a bit late on this one...

There are 40 series flowmasters on eBAY starting at $40 or something like that.

eBAY search: Flowmaster 40 series muffler

Just thought I'd pass that along.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have both header cats and the 3rd but then i ran a testpipe where the resinator was and chopped off my mufflers and put 2.5" pipes back there... its not super loud but it does sound very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts