TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 95 V8 Bird, and I get about 13 mpg in the city. Given I do have a lead foot, but still! Isn't that a bit low? What could be wrong?

Thanks all! My wallet will be quite grateful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bought the car from CarMax in Sept. 02. Since then, I've changed is the plugs to Bostch (sp?) Triple Platinum, installed a K&N Filter, and put on Flowmaster mufflers. But CarMax does the tune up before you get the car, so I didn't know I needed one.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
M car is only getting 200 miles to the tank (13.33per gallon). It used to get almost 300 miles per tank, but then it just dropped, and I don't remember when. I think it was after I got my tranny back/new TC. It may have something to do with the fact that I am always driving with OD off now. Do you drive with OD on or off most of the time?

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Aaron_T said:
M car is only getting 200 miles to the tank (13.33per gallon). It used to get almost 300 miles per tank, but then it just dropped, and I don't remember when. I think it was after I got my tranny back/new TC. It may have something to do with the fact that I am always driving with OD off now. Do you drive with OD on or off most of the time?

How many gallons are you doing your math with? MN-12's have an 18 gallon tank...going through about 15 gallons per fill up are you? Or am I missing it.
(Side note for all: you shouldnt run the tank dry....though most know already)

As for the problems in question...
Get rid of the Bosch plugs and get Ford Motorcraft Copper plugs. You can gap them to the stock setting (.054?) or even up to .060.

Again, as chad said, make sure your plug wires arent messed up. Check for arcing. You can go with FRPP or the stock style wires. A few people on here with superchargers use the stock motorcraft spark plug wires, so they can't be bad.

As chad said, check to make sure your MAF is clean. Perhaps your K&N is over oiled or somehow some oil left the element and traveled up to deposit itself on the MAF wires. Please click here and see a post about cleaning methods. Also, click on the link I proveded within that thread and see even more opinionis. It is imperitive that you reset your car's computer (EEC) after cleaning the MAF.

Check/change your fuel filter. Make sure you have the proper tools, and please, dont swallow any gasoline!!! Don't smoke either.... heh (duh!)

Check your PCV to make sure it's functioning properly. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Older "gas mileage threads" I found via the Search function:
Gas Mileage Thread 1

Gas Mileage Thread 2

Gas Mileage Thread 3

Bad Fuel Pump = Bad Gas Mileage?

check through all of those links and look at what others have said and compare to what will appear in response to your thread.

By chance, is your 'check engine' light on (or turn on intermittently)?

Hopefully we can all help you remedy the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah mine is low too. I get about 110-120 to the tank......hehehe...i think i know whats wrong with mine though....I DRIVE LIKE A BIA!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check on all that 66dvlbrd68, thanks a bunch for all the info. I really needed it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
September is about when I sold my 95 4.6 bird to carmax. Out of cusosity what color is yours?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
tbirdracer97 said:
Yeah mine is low too. I get about 110-120 to the tank......hehehe...i think i know whats wrong with mine though....I DRIVE LIKE A BIA!!!
Do you really get that low of gas milage? I didn't think it was possible to drive harder than I do:D

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Aaron_T said:

Do you really get that low of gas milage? I didn't think it was possible to drive harder than I do:D
my old 89 would gulp down a 1/4 tank in 11 miles of keeping the 120mph speedo (yes i put it in) pegged. It was limited to ~122mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My car is Taupe, and it came from the CarMax in Arlington on I-30 West, and no, my "Check Engine" light never comes on. (Unless I'm low on fuel :) )

One more thing to add, I get a clicking from my engine when I shift gears at about 2500+ RPM. When I had it checked out, they said it was my rod and main bearings going out. Just in case that would affect it...

I just finished cleaning my MAF with Electric Circuit Cleaner and Air spray. Now, how do I know if my wires are arcing? I made sure all of them were pushed in the manifold all the way, just in case they weren't connecting with the plugs. If it's my O2 sensors, where are they and how can I check them? Thank you guys so much, you've been such a help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On my bird I can get 260 miles on 1 tank. It depends how often you rip out , cut someone off, step on the pedal and traffic. Mostly around traffic and idle you will burn up the most amount of gas. I know this cause I've been through this with all the v8 birds I've owned. One other thing, when you buy from a used car deal don't also thing they do the tune ups when they say they do. Some places don't even touch the cars and other places brush up the plugs to make them look new. Your best bet is to do a tune up that way you know it has been done. By the way check your tires maybe your tires are improperly inflated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Something ain't right! I just turned over 150K last week on my 97 bird and I drive like I live. HARD. I commute 125 miles per day round trip and I usually cruise between 65-80 most of the way. I get 23MPG or better every tank. My check engine light has been on for over two years. I did the MOD back in december and it did not change much. I suspect the front O2's are bad but not that bad. My guess-MAF or leaking injector cause my right heel has a calous from stomping the right pedal. You might want to try gas from different sources. I use two different BP stations and one consistently gives about 1/2 MPG better than the other. Who knows, but after three years I have noticed a pattern. My .02

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used 94 octane Sunoco....My car has over 245miles on it

·
Registered
132 Posts
With the mods listed in my Sig. I get 18-22MPG Depending on my driving style for that tank.

Typically i get about 300-360 Miles to a tank. (Filling 14-15 gallons at the station).

Before getting the Jarry Chip Gen II, i use to only get 15-17 MPG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only way for me to get ~14mpg is to drive with my RPMs at or below 2000. So, I'm thinkin over the summer (I'm still in school) swap in a '00-'02 Cobra engine and have my O2 sensors checked, exhaust redone, etc. But for now, I don't know of much else to do, b/c I can't afford to spend the money on it right now. I've been planning to drop in a new engine (any suggestions?) so I might as well just drive like grandma and wait it out. Anything I do to the engine will be replaced in a few months. If there are any suggestions on mods that can be done that don't include parts in an engine replacement, by all means I am grateful to know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I get better MPG between 2000 - 3000 RPM's then do i below 2000's and above 3000

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was doing about 270 a tank (filling at 14-15 gallons as well), but my tranny is acting up and I have no overdrive, so now cruising on the highway at 80 and 3000 I'm getting 290 a tank filling at the same time.

I also have a question, if the MN-12 has an 18 gallon tank, why does the low fuel light come on with about 12 gallons used, and the check gauges light at about 13 gallons used, and the needle is pegged on empty by 15 gallons used on my car ???

It's a 94 4.6 BTW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get that same thing regarding the gas gage. My friend suggested draining out the fuel tank and getting rid of extra sediment thats at the bottom of the tank. But i only get 200 Miles for ever 14 gallons. I use to beat the sh*t out of her until i found some interesting facts about the MN12 cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts