TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
my project is still early but in a couple months I will be getting a new 3.8L for my cougar but will be getting the bolt on's from supersix motors to add more juice (Stage 3 which will add 100hp to my 140 3.8L).

With that additional horsepower, should I replace my AOD transmission? If so, would I be able to pop in the V8 Tranny?

With the additional horsepower can i keep the differential I have now?

also: :D
just gotta thank thomas, PJ, JK and so many others who helped me with tips on engine swaps (the thread about swapping in a high perform v6)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thanks, glad could help. i dont think id worry about the tranny until something happens, but you cant go wrong with bigger halfshafts and 8.8 although im not sure what gear to tell ya on a v6 , the 7.5s are weak, they are ok for a stock car, but if your going to modify it, its better to change it before you have an issue.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If you are seriously adding 100HP to your car, the stock V6 AOD isn't going to cut it forever. They are built with less clutch plates... the V8 AOD is better sutied for this, but yours could be rebuilt much stronger than even that allows. It's a matter of how much you're spending.
I'd get V8 halfshafts if I were adding that much power too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was pretty much my plan as well.

Before actually getting the power...
new brakes will be coming soon (in about 2 weeks I will place the order >paying bills first<)
Then I will either invest on a V8 rear end or possibly modifying the Transmission as you suggested.

In regards to transmission (approximately how much would it cost for me to get it rebuilt and or modified to handle 100 more horses.)

I am just curious as to the prices others have paid... just to get a idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You could build a nice one yourself for about $500 in parts that would do the trick... get the mechanical diode/reverse drum, get a 4 plate intermediate clutch/pressure plate, and a spiral lock kit from bulkpart.com for the mech diode (theyre a 3 pack). Those are the major things, but there might be other things you choose to replace (I always swap needle bearings, etc.) If you wanted you could try to find a strengthened input shaft since its an AOD, but for your HP I don't know if its necessary (Lonnie may know better on that). Just dont switch to a 1 piece shaft. Add labor to that if you farm the work out. You could build it stronger, but i don't think thats necessary for your power level. WHat I've suggested would be good to keep it strong and reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts