TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever vacuum bled a power steering rack?

I just replaced mine and steering is still very hard. I tried unplugging the EVO, and I replaced the pump twice. To bleed it I just jacked up the front end and turned the wheel side to side about 10 times. The fluid level never really went down though. I'm thinking I either have a bad rack (sucks a lot), or an air bubble. If anyone has done this, or knows of another procedure, let me know how you got it done. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Might be able to hook a vacuum pump to the return line and pump it till fluid starts coming out. Leave the reservoir cap off of course.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Been awhile since I've done a hose or worked the air out of a rack. I seem to recall that if you have air you normally hear a lot of chattering or noise till it's been worked out. Your sure there no kinks in the lines or something mechanical binding. I'm hoping it's something simple and not the rack itself.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well I have about 200 miles on it and no change. No noise in the pump. looking like its the rack
From what I've heard they are quite a job to replace. That's why I was hoping it might be a kinked line or mechanical issue. If it's a rebuilt rack and there's some type of labor reimbursement I'd definitely look into filing for it. I think flat rate on the rack is something like 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the evo too but it's the same plugged in or unplugged over three different solenoids. I wouldn't know how bad of a job it is with the motor in because I did it while the motor was pulled. Looks like I'll be doing it the hard way this time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought disconnecting the EVO defaulted to full power assist at all speeds.
it's supposed to. So if the rack were stiff from the EVO, unplugging it would cause the power steering pumo to provide full assist making the steering feel lighter. Unless I'm wrong, but there was no change regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts