TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last tune up I could hear a vacuum leak coming from the back of the motor. Excuse me if this is not clear enough--Im going to describe this from memory......the leak ended up being a 3 or 4-way vacuum hose connection made of RUBBER!?! :rolleyes: It sits about 6 inches to the passenger side of the throttlebody and did I mention it is made of RUBBER! What a freaking GREAT idea, huh? I think it connects the PCV, a line that goes to the back of the throttlebody and another line that goes back behind the engine. It was late and dark so I was not able to explore exactly where all the hoses connect to or if it is a 3 or 4 way connection---Im still in shock about this being made of rubber. :confused: What I do know is that it is torn along the center and not repairable. The dealership dude on the phone had no idea what I was describing over the phone. Anyone else come across this connector and do you have a possible name or part number for it?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
If it looks like it's a 3-way connector about 3/8" in diameter, I'd call it a "tee" -- the tee tends to crumble after a while. I've not ever seen one in a store, but I don't think it'll cost more than $10 at a dealership.

If you have another mode of transportation, why not take out the tee, visit a dealership, and see what they have.

I fabricated one out of some 3/8" hose and a $3 plastic tee -- it's a little larger than stock, but it works....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was hoping for a simple part number and switching it out along with new hoses. But, rare is the day that everything works out perfect, so Im going to probably just pull out all the hoses and the connector. This will give me a chance to 'upgrade' and use a few copper or plastic tees to get the job done right. It just bothers me when the engineers half-*** things or come up with bright ideas. They could have spent more time maybe adding cup holders than making a damn RUBBER vacuum hose tee !!??!! :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
Rubber doesn't melt as easy as most things...

That's why it's made of rubber. And it's cheap.

Be sure what you replace it with will handle the temp if you get stuck in traffic...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, rubber holds up well..... but most engines have plastic tees and they will out-live all the hoses around them. It just kinda bothers me because as you mention--being that close to the block, you need to replace it with something made to take the heat. I wasn't able to find one in brass/plastic this size, but Im gunna go hit the local Home Depot for one. My buddy who works at a auto parts store laughed at my problem--'mid-nineties were a bad time for Ford engineers'. But he says he can order a mixed bag of plastic or brass tees if I don't find them at the hardware store--cheaper there. Once I have that, I will buy bulk vacuum hoses($0.05/inch) and just replace all of the hoses as well. To drive it though---electrical tape all OVER the tee for now. hehehe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts