TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a broken connection on my vacuum tee that leads to the brake booster. I’ve already replaced the rubber grommet for the booster but I can’t seem to find this part anywhere or any ideas on how I can just jimmy rig it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Jimmy-Rig solution:

A piece of rubber cut into a square / rectangle slightly larger than the hole.

RTV Black

Worm band

Apply RTV Black to edges of rubber patch. Apply rubber patch to brake booster tee. Secure rubber patch by affixing worm band to patched area to ensure it is secure.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,207 Posts
Or just grab one from the local wrecking yard.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
233 Posts
Junkyard item.

You should be able to run a vacuum line from the engine to the booster and splice two tees in-line with reducers in place of the distribution block.
When I drove without a cowl I did just that but without the tees. I seemed to have gained power from that. Is my butt dyno off?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
One of the lines is used for the AC I believe .. The other is a reservoir. So eliminating those two lines wont affect your engine or brake boosters performance. That being said, there is absolutely no power gain unless you were comparing it to the power lost through a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
233 Posts
Well I did that right after I replaced the brake booster so that would be why I gained power.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,237 Posts
Gained power is still pretty questionable, manifold vacuum decreases to near zero at wide open throttle. A vacuum leak affecting performance will be most prevelant at cruise and especially idle where vacuum is highest and intern drawing in the most unmetered air from the leak point

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.