TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went up to autozone the other day, because my check engine light is on. so thatr way i could find out whats goin on. can anyone tell me how to fix an engine leak, thats what i was told.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i went up to autozone the other day, because my check engine light is on. so thatr way i could find out whats goin on. can anyone tell me how to fix an engine leak, thats what i was told.

well, go back and get the code. dont let them tell you its A or B or C....next if you KNOW you have a vac leak, find where it is leaking and replace that section of vac hose.

·
Registered
255 Posts
vaccume lines are usually hard plastic and rubber lines that run around the motor. the rubber lines dryrot and crack. Or go to the autoshop and ask them to run a emissions smoke test

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Check the back of your engine where the vacuum hoses attach to the intake. They are very prone to problems on 94-95.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
would a vacuum leak cause the throttle response to be slow or make a "hissing sound" before the throttle REALLY engages?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just fixed the vacuum leak on my 95 Town Car last night. The check engine light came on and it definitely affected throttle response. I could hear a hissing/sucking sound at idle coming from the back of the engine.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ok, guess it's off to check vacuum lines this weekend. cause that just about describes exactly what I'm hearing. It does it when I press on the Accel pedal, kind of hisses, then engages....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Is there anything that I could use to "pinpoint" WHICH vacuum line it is that is leaking? I know if you spray soapy water on a tire leak that you watch for the bubbles.......is there anything similar that I could use to trace a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Some people say spray brake cleaner or carb cleaner around the vacuum hoses and see if the idle goes up. I also heard of using a propane torch with just the gas (no flame) and run it over the vacuum lines and again listen for the idle to go up. Some garages have a smoke machine that pumps some in the intake to look for a leak.
I usually try inspection with a flashlight and listening for a leak. Remove any suspect hoses and give them a good visual check. Use some compressed air if needed.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Subscribing.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.