TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking for some quick advice on a potential buy.

I have come across a 1997 mustang with the svo supercharger with a blown engine for $2000, is the supercharger alone worth that kind of money?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah ide grab it for that. Worth swapping motor and getting the tune checked at a dyno

·
Registered
871 Posts
Personally i would be weary of the motor, you don't know if the supercharger caused the engine to blow up, try to get a good look inside the charger before you pick it up, metal debris is a good sign that the super charger is the culprit of the engine failure. 2000 is pretty steep for a blown up motor, I don't care of it came out of a new boss mustang, try to get him down on the price by atleast half

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
Agreed. The SVO could be damaged. Find out as much about it as you can and try to get it for less.

What do you know about the blown engine? What exactly happened? Ask yourself "Did it damage the SVO?" "Could it have damaged the SVO?"

What exactly are your plans for the SVO?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to get in contact with the owner about taking a look at it.

That said, I am 99% sure of what caused it to blow up based on pictures provided.

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
Damn, that stuff! Some people love it. Personally, I wouldn't put it on my car if someone gave it to me and offered to install it for free.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If nitrous is used correctly and installed properly it does not harm the engjne, I knew a guy who used at least two 50 shots everyday for four years straight and never blew the engine up, man do I love that sh!t

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
If nitrous is used correctly and installed properly it does not harm the engine, I knew a guy who used at least two 50 shots everyday for four years straight and never blew the engine up, man do I love that sh!t
Regardless of correct install and use, cost of using it is a big deterrent in my book.

How many bottles do you think he went through in those four years at what? $5 to $8 a pound of gas? ... depending on where you or he live ...

How much do you spend a year on refills? Did you have to buy a bottle heater?

In addition to cost, N2O is just to temperature tempermental for my liking and ... you have to open and close the bottle. I've seen so many stories ... "I forgot to open the bottle ..." I just LMAO.

I like my Methanol/water injection. It's just as effective as N2O, not picky about the temp., much safer and so much more economical.

BTW, you didn't happen to do this with your properly installed and used nitrous did you? :tongue:

The reason I ask is that I know another member here who did this with his NOS system. Sometimes it isn't the engine that takes the beating from the NOS.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with the monkey of the trunk on this one, I can't stand nitrous, I've heard so many arguments for it, but the damage it can cause....oh man.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The reason I ask is that I know another member here who did this with his NOS system. Sometimes it isn't the engine that takes the beating from the NOS.
That could happen with any power adder .. I personally destroyed the rear mount attached to the differential with my completely stock 94 Super Coupe. Weakest link in the chain always breaks. :tongue:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Regardless of correct install and use, cost of using it is a big deterrent in my book.

How many bottles do you think he went through in those four years at what? $5 to $8 a pound of gas? ... depending on where you or he live ...

How much do you spend a year on refills? Did you have to buy a bottle heater?

In addition to cost, N2O is just to temperature tempermental for my liking and ... you have to open and close the bottle. I've seen so many stories ... "I forgot to open the bottle ..." I just LMAO.

I like my Methanol/water injection. It's just as effective as N2O, not picky about the temp., much safer and so much more economical.

BTW, you didn't happen to do this with your properly installed and used nitrous did you? :tongue:

Ron,

I just laugh at everything you said above.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Independent rearends are weaker than a straight axle, there no argument there, thats one of the reasons why you don't drag race with an independent rear. I will say though the Ford 8.8 IRS is one of the strongest out there, so strong that the new era GTO guys are using them in their cars, one of my first mods when I finally get the time to work on mine. The only flaw I see with the rearend is the terrible placement of the bracing on the diff cover

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
talk about derailing!

Did you get the SVO blower? I'm looking for one myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the car there Shawn.

Ron,

I just laugh at everything you said above.
Some like it, some don't. I said that earlier.

I know it works well for you and Chris and Steve; not so well for Joker there ...

To each their own. It's just not for me.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the car there Shawn.

Some like it, some don't. I said that earlier.

I know it works well for you and Chris and Steve; not so well for Joker there ...

To each their own. It's just not for me.
You are corect TM in that respect. To each their own. But you must look at all the circumstances.

Joker broke his stuff due to launching it with a manual tranny at 4500+ RPM for one thing. Sticky tires, Manual tranny, large amounts of torque, heavy car and the like breaks parts. Particularly on an IRS. In the same token I've eaten an Auburn, broken plenty of halfshafts, etc with my automatic car. I don't expect those parts to last forever pulling 1.5 60 fts in a 3700 lb car, 500+ lbs ft of tq and big tires. I'm sure Keith and Chris would feel the same with theirs if something goes. You've been close enough with yours to take a half shaft out I'd bet. Time is not on your side either with your halfshaft on that blower. When you do I'll remind you of it.

Cars that are automatics or don't launch as hard can get away with it. Just that simple.

I've been running my system since 1999 and have enjoyed it and used it quite effectively. Its there when I want and not when I don't want. I can run NA or power adder and I do. There is pluses and minus's in all of them. Just the nature of the beast.

Engines live a long time if the stuff is used properly and monitored properly. Mine is proof of that. But with Nitrous or blower, any of them in an instant can be on borrowed time.

Hopefully the blower this guy is looking at is ok and he can join the SVO boys!! Make sure he's running that Meth on top to help raise the bar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts