TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a used 32v from a mark 8 with 75k worth estimate?

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Depends on year, there were a few improvements in the later ones(valve springs, oil pump, ect.). Personally I wouldn't pay more than pick 'n pull value for a Gen I motor and the absolute most I'd do for a Gen II motor would be about $600.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a 1996 not sure if that's gen 2 or if the 97 98 style is gen 2

Debating about picking it up to part out if it's worth the hassle

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
96 is Gen I but the longblock is pretty much the same as the Gen II motors. Are you picking up a whole car to part out or the just motor to part out? The individual engine parts aren't worth all that much aside from the Teksid.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be betting the whole car to part it's rose mist I believe the light purple color

Rockers have rust and it took a light hit in the front

·
Registered
253 Posts
I sold my 98 Mark VIII motor with 120K miles to a guy in Iowa for 350 I believe, I have seen others on craigslist and elsewhere peddling half the motor for nearly as much as that or more, but even when I was selling mine people were not in a tremendous rush to buy it, sometimes you'd get a response here, then nothing, then another one 3 days or more latter and I was asking 500 obo for mine with cops and wiring harness and computer even, complete from top to bottom, alternator, ac compressor, power steering the whole deal, really they are not hot in demand in my opinion, trying to get somebody to pay 500 bucks for one is like trying to pull teeth, the guy who bought mine was going to rip the upper half and make a sohc he already did a few before hand so he knew what he was getting into, plus he was boosting them pretty high from what I remember too. He knew what he was buying but still wouldn't pay the full 500 for it so that may tell you something, or you can sit on it and hold out till you get what you want if you get it at all. I wasn't going to bet on it so I took the cash and ran. Pick and pulls even make deals from time to time if it is above scrap price they will bite occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Part of the problem is that in the greater Chicagoland area you can literally point at any self service junkyard on a map and have a 75% chance they'll have at least one Mark VIII in it. Full engines cost $250-$350(plus a $50 or so core) and some even pull it for you with no extra charge. Buying one for $500 is basically the equivalent of paying someone a $200 finders fee for something that wasn't all that hard to find.

Plus, as you experienced, it's all about the gooey Teksid buried in the center. Mustang guys rarely DOHC swap and the few that do tend to gravitate to more elusive Cobra intaked C-head offerings that are a more worthwhile upgrade over their old 2V. The vast majority who are willing to do an extensive swap like that though, simply go with power adders, and that pretty much keeps the Teksid as the lone desirable piece for a build.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What kills me though is the price of used Explorer motor around here, you can buy Mark Motors all day for half the cost with some being half the miles, just ridiculous to me both are aluminum, and the Mark almost seems to have a better vantage being a Teksid motor, but the yards will still beat the price way way up for the Explorer v8 I figured for an extra grand you can buy one new and get a better warranty too and have a better starting point. I even seen guys selling PI Mustang motors with fewer miles headers and larger throttle bodys included for less than a used Explorer motor I just never understood why? Up until I got here I never even knew it had any benefit to us, and most Mustang guys at least local one don't seem to realize it either.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
I rarely find 4.6 explorers in self service yards, which have fixed pricing on all engines, so I'm sure that's part of it. Plus Marks have ten extra years of depreciation on them over the Explorers and are more prone to wind up at a "u pull it" than the late model Explorer that primarily makes it to the much more expensive "we pull it" type salvage yards.

Regarding desirability, you can basically just drop an Explorer engine into a Tbird or Mustang and be good to go. No having to jump through the hoops of a doing a 4V swap or(in rare instances) tear it down to throw 2V heads on the Teksid shortblock. The Teksid being a better starting point is debatable and in reality moot unless you're boosting power into 700+ neighborhood or have a supersonic rotating assembly like a guitar maestro :tongue:. Otherwise the Explorer blocks haven't proven themselves to be a weak point aside from the myth that it was "too weak" for the Terminators to use(the reality being that the heat exchanger simply didn't clear the WAP block's knock sensor bosses).

I think we(TCCoA) pioneered the Explorer swap before the Mustang guys figured it out. Mustang guys aren't as interested in weight loss as we are(and have simpler means of doing so via cheap tube K members and such) and only the 96-98 owners really desire swapping to PI motor in general.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts