TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting the "Factory Tech Complete Accumulator Valve Body - For '93-95 Mark VIII & 4.6L Tbird/Cougar" off of SCP (Under the 3.8L for my 94). My only concern was exactly understanding what is done to this. I wanted to do a jmod, but don't know anyone around me that can do it, without overpaying a shop or annoying my mechanic buddy to death about it. If I got this valve body, what else would I need to do to have the complete jmod? Would I still have to do the drilling and stuff? I'm not very good with cars, so please assume I know nothing :). Also, if there is anyone around in MD that can do it and could help me out with doing the jmod instead of buying the whole valve body, that would work too; I'm in Baltimore County. <br>
I know I would still have to do some of the basic stuff like put Mercon V in it and get the deep pan, but I'm not exactly sure what else I'd have to do. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I can get a whole jmodded one from you, Darrin, for ~$300 ($225+$75 core+S&H)?
What else would I need to do then to have a complete jmod? Change to Mercon V and add the deep pan?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Huh, I just looked at the website at SCP. I didn't know Bill sold those. Thats interesting. With the work and time I have in mine these are unprofitable as it is and now I can see why people have been beating me down on the price. I didnt know my stuff was being compared to that.

What I do is very much not like that. What I do is very much tailored to the individual and their vehicle. I don't use a set or fixed modification. Unless the car is totally stock and the customer has no plans for upgrades. IE: they want a valve body for a daily driver to improve transmission life instead of performance

Darrin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I know there are different "settings" for different engines and for how much hp (etc etc) you have. I do plan on doing upgrades and would like tochirp 1-2. What's the best suited one for me? :)
I won't have the money for a month or two, but I'll definitely be giving you a call when I do get it, so keep me in mind ;).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, okay! A few lights went off for me. Bare with me, I'm in no way a mechanic.

Basically, if I purchase the pre-modified Valve Body from Darrin, I can completely skip the article "Modifying the Valve Body to Jerry's specifications" (obviously), but I could still do the "A-Train's Shift Kit Install" if I choose to, for added performance, right? I'm not the one that will be doing the work, but I'll be spending the money, so I want to make sure I have the details correct.

And there are still the settings for the Valve Body I have to worry about, right? Like mild or hard shifts, no?

If anyone can completely clear this up for me, I'd appreciate that :).

·
8,239 Posts
If you buy a valve body, you drop the pan and replace the valve body.

A bunch of bolts, and a few electrical connections inside the pan.

Its pretty much a no brainer.

If your replacing springs, servos, etc, then thats a little more advanced, but not really bad at all.

When I was 18, myself and shawn40th did both our cars in his fathers garage. Much to the chagrin of his mother, we had ATF spilled everywhere.

Ah, okay! A few lights went off for me. Bare with me, I'm in no way a mechanic.

Basically, if I purchase the pre-modified Valve Body from Darrin, I can completely skip the article "Modifying the Valve Body to Jerry's specifications" (obviously), but I could still do the "A-Train's Shift Kit Install" if I choose to, for added performance, right? I'm not the one that will be doing the work, but I'll be spending the money, so I want to make sure I have the details correct.

And there are still the settings for the Valve Body I have to worry about, right? Like mild or hard shifts, no?

If anyone can completely clear this up for me, I'd appreciate that :).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, what would be the benefit of actually doing the A-Train Shift Kit?
The only way for me to learn is to ask questions :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
There would be no benefit on my valve body. Its all already done for you.
It even comes with a nice full color and very detailed instruction manual

Darrin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There would be no benefit on my valve body. Its all already done for you.
It even comes with a nice full color and very detailed instruction manual

Darrin
That's what I'm talking about! lol.. Nice and easy.. You'll definitely be hearing from me when I get the money together..

Now, aren't there a few different settings I can get? Like a mild or hard shift? I'd like to figure that out soon instead of wasting time when I get the money :).

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
That is my job. Leave that to me. Like I said above, I don't really do things like settings. These are true custom valve bodies made for you and your car. Not cookie cutter stuff.

Darrin

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
so if you were to do the jmod. this is like one step allrdy done for you?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
This is like remove your old valve body and put this one in and you are done. Out with the old and in with the new. You do no modification whatsoever. You remove and replace. No drilling, no guessing.

Take one out put one in and you are done.

Darrin

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
ya. i got that..but what other steps are there in the jmod that i would have to do?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I understand right, you would just have to change to Mercon V (if you haven't already), put in the '96 deep pan and filter and add a tranny cooler (optional, but highly recommended by everyone).
Correct me if I'm wrong or missed anything :).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts