TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all, I am going to be building my 4R70W soon and want to ask some questions. First let me tell you what I have: 96 F150 2wd with a 351. The motor is nothing crazy, stock bottom end with a 85-88 Mustang HO cam, roller rockers, Explorer P-heads, shorty headers, Lightning intake. I had Dityd0g build me a 12" converter with alittle stall speed increase, but it is not in there yet. The truck is my daily driver, but NOT a work truck. Weight is 4310 lbs. with me in it. 3.73 gears with 28.5" tires. I will be building the transmission with all the best internals that I know of. Diode sprag, 98-02 clutches, removed wave plate, 5.4 gears (if I find them in time) 98+ accumulator pistons. ~~~~~ OK what I need to know about is the valve body, separator plate modifications, and accumulator springs. ~~~~~ I want the trany to shift factory smooth on light throttle, slightly firm at heavy throttle, and chirp tires at WOT. What is the best way to achive this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have read all about the Jerry's Mods and wanted some clarification from there to get what I am looking for. Transmissions I have for parts are: 94 CrownVic, 95 5.0 HO Mustang, 95 Mark8, 96 F150, 99 Town Car, and 2001 4.2 E150. I think the best valve body for me to use as a starting point is the 99 TownCar one. Yes I know what electrical pieces I have to change to use it, but where can I go from there?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm wondering whether you want or need a TRUCK VB to get where you want to be? - I garner that it's different fm Passenger Car VB - Jerry's stuff certainly great & certainly relevant but NOT current as to the newer Parts & newer VB's out there now - SO...

- I'd answer the VB question
- I'd consult with a GURU
- I'd DEFINITELY consult a truck site with your TIRE setup~!
- I'd also review:

http://www.sonnax.com/index.php & http://www.p71interceptor.com/

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Out of what you have listed the 99 Town Car valve body is the best choice. You can mod it per the instructions in the tech articles here for the mild setup and be good to go. But, without a LOT of more custom work and particularly a very good tune you are never going to get it to shift factory smooth at one throttle position and hard as hell at another. You will have to give and take on each end to reach the best average.

Darrin

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
up in JMOD HP ?

You lost me there Darrin as the Mild JMOD in my MK is CLOSE to that but a Shift that chirps a WOT 16 Inch Tire surely won't chirp a "28.5 tire" - So I was thinking you'd have to move up in JMOD HP relative to what you are actually have HP wise ___? - It's definitely a fact by the time you chirp 28's you better have a good Extension Housing, then Spicer U Joints, then a good D/Shaft, then a good Rear End, then 2 good Axles, then some pretty decent Hubs & Lugs because it WILL find the weak link~! - The Truck guys chirp these larger Tires so I would have to go to school on them.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
He is never going to get factory quality part throttle shifts at WOT without...

Oh wait, I think I covered that already ;)

But, without a LOT of more custom work and particularly a very good tune you are never going to get it to shift factory smooth at one throttle position and hard as hell at another. You will have to give and take on each end to reach the best average.

Darrin

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
True dat & upon reflection it aint that hard to chirp a Mud Grip on Asphalt... & you always have a Truck bed handy for the parts that fall out from under it~!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Mr. RobertP built my JMod to were she shifts firm ( No Snap) at mild to mid throttle , But will bark them big time at WOT , I believe that was accomplished with a lighter tension spring , Just my 2 pennies on the great way she shifts :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Mr. RobertP built my JMod to were she shifts firm ( No Snap) at mild to mid throttle , But will bark them big time at WOT , I believe that was accomplished with a lighter tension spring , Just my 2 pennies on the great way she shifts :)
Firm, yes. Factory smooth like he asked? Not exactly.

He is asking for something that can be done, but not as easily done as a simple valve body mod.

Darrin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies y'all. Some slight clarification; The 28.5" tires I am talking about are the stock 235-75-15 Goodyears. If they ever wear out I will go back with 235-70-15's (27.9" tall). My truck is OBD-II and is tuned with a SCT xcalibrator3. ~~~~~ So definitely go with the 99 TownCar valve body over the 2001 van? Thoughts and reasons please?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Truck VB ?

So definitely go with the 99 TownCar valve body over the 2001 van? Thoughts and reasons please?
A Guru has spoken there & said go w/99 - & I say the 2001+ VB's need the 3rd Small Round Plate re-installed per the Sonnax Site I already referred you to - What would be kinda constructive here is for a Guru to explain what the difference is between the Truck VB & a Car VB ___? - I would have thought you could do it all w/ PCM progamming differences but supposedly there is a difference in Truck / Van VB's vice Car VB's.

- Transgo a TOTAL weirded out POS but I did like this Article as far as providing some clue as to how the VB "works".

http://www.p71interceptor.com/misc/transgoshiftkitpatent5820507.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me more about re-installing the 3rd small round plate. I went to the Sonnax site but didn't find anything technical. When I try to pull up the p71 link I just get a blank page. Since I have a truck, do I need a truck VB?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Tell me more about re-installing the 3rd small round plate. I went to the Sonnax site but didn't find anything technical. When I try to pull up the p71 link I just get a blank page. Since I have a truck, do I need a truck VB?
You don't need a truck valve body. One from a car will work, but as said earlier it might shift differently.

The truck valve body's had different internal spring setups and some of the orifices on the plates were different.

Darrin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright then, I will use the 99 TownCar VB unless I find a 99-00 truck or van one, is that correct? And I would guess that using the 01 truck separator with the 99 T-Car VB would be bad? Now, I can get a VB out of a 2000 Police car, would that be better than the TownCar one?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Correct in general you should'nt intermingle Seperator plates fm differing VB castings & internals - What you are going to see on the newer 99/00 VB's if you were to JMOD them to"Mild Spec" is that many of the holes are already sized to the Mild spec in these newer 99/00 Seperator Plates unlike a 96 Seperator Plate for instance - Some Guru's often reccommend going with at least the upgraded Sonnax Main Pressure Regulator Valve Assy in any of these VB's.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The prudent Guru's often reccommend going with at least the upgraded Sonnax Main Pressure Regulator Valve Assy in any of these VB's.
I haven't used those other than to test them. Never had a reason to and I am definitely not goig to argue with the results I have had. I have also never suggested using them and I don't sell them. Which may be related.

Darrin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts