TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just want to triple check with everyone. I was considering pulling my valve covers this weekend to get them powdercoated. Then, when I went to look at them, I noticed they were black and felt a lot like plastic, even when I tapped on them.

After reading on here, it seems a lot of people say they are in fact a magnesium alloy, but some still said they were plastic. I just want a definitive answer from some of the experienced guys, are my black 97 cougar 3.8l valve covers in fact metal? Is the black on the exterior just paint I would have to sand off before powdercoating? I'll say this much, they don't feel like any valve covers I've ever pulled in the past.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got my 96 valve covers powder coated, and they were definitely metal. I don't think Ford changed in the one year, but you never know.
were yours black stock?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL... that's so simple but genius!
The magnet would only work if they were made of an iron based alloy. I'm not to sure that magnets stick to other alloys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The magnet would only work if they were made of an iron based alloy. I'm not to sure that magnets stick to other alloys.
Hmmm, it sucks, but I think you're right...

Checking online, it appears it has to be iron based, nickel based, or cobalt based, as far as common metals used in production.

Oh well, it looks like I'm just gonna take it off for powdercoating assuming its a magnesium alloy. *cross fingers*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts