TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two months, I've noticed that for a few minutes on startup when the engine is cold, the engine ticks fairly loudly under acceleration. the more throttle, the louder the tick. It goes away after a few minutes of driving. It sounds a little like the tick the injectors make, but I have never heard the injectors that loud before, and I don't think they could be warming up what quickly to make them stop ticking if it was them because it goes away before much temp registers on the gauge, so at that point, it can't be too warm under the hood. I did search, and it sounds like it could be the lifters, and that it probably isn't a problem. What's your input?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Probably is the lifters getting soft/bleeding off and then pumping up again.

How many miles on the engine?

I'd say run a little thicker oil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
112k on the motor, running Valvoline Durablend 5W30 for the moment due to weather in the teens for the most part of the last month or so. I'll probably go back to 10w30 next change, unless I get my Explorer engine in before then... That's going to get Mobil1 10W30.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would reccoment the opposite. I would Use 5/30 mobil 1 or a 5/20 conventional. The oil too viscoius when it's cold and is not flowing to the valvetrain easily.

The tolerances in the 4.6 are tight and the oil passages are designed for lightweight oils. I am running 5/20 weight in mine (143k mi) and have had no issues with consumption or leaks. Engine is quiet during cold startups.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as an update, I just changed my oil this weekend, and put 10W30 in instead of the 5W30, and it is exactly the same. Also, It does do it sometimes even if the engine is warm, but has been sitting for a little while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts