TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a pi swap on my 95 cougar. Car has been running great after working out some small issues. (Mainly tune and maf related)

Well I found a deal on some used mild cams that I couldn't pass up.
Cams are bullet cams, specs appear to be an older stage 1 blower cam grind

224 intake 226 exhaust at .050
.540 lift on intake and exhaust
LSA is 114°
Cams came with tfs adjustable crank gears pinned and degreed by MHS. I installed the Cams with new gt style followers.

I opted to not upgrade the valve springs as they are not required. Well after installing the Cams it turns out I have several bad lash adjusters. They refuse to pump up and I'm getting light clatter from under both valve covers.

I have removed the valve covers again to replace the lash adjusters, doing all 16. Should I just bite the bullet and do the MHS pac spring upgrade while I'm in there? Is there anything to gain over stock springs. I won't be spinning it over 6500rpms.

I'm leaning towards yes, especially because I plan on running boost in the future but am hesitant due to adding more cost than I was anticipating.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I would have done the springs with the heads off to begin with. Easier to do and its good insurance.

That said, you probably wont have issues. I ran a set of Comp 262 AHs with stock springs, which are slightly higher lift than what you have. Didnt give any issues.

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have done the springs with the heads off to begin with. Easier to do and its good insurance.

That said, you probably wont have issues. I ran a set of Comp 262 AHs with stock springs, which are slightly higher lift than what you have. Didnt give any issues.
So true, I had the heads completely apart to clean and replace stem seals.
I probably should have checked the lash adjusters too, but had no issues with stock pi cams. I'm guessing that the more aggressive cams are too much for the old adjusters (unknown miles/use on them)

I didn't really plan on getting cams but found myself unable to pass up the deal I got.

I think you’d be ok in the lift department but if you are spinning it past 6000 I’d upgrade them, stock springs seem to start floating around there
Yeah shift points will probably be 6300 on 1 to 2 and 6100 on 2 to 3. I also plan on a vortech running 8-10 lbs down the road.

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
I have 3 sets of lash adjusters here from dohc heads; none of them are functional.I would replace them for sure. the older valvesprings are not great, a set of modern ones aren't nearly as costly as a bent valve.

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 3 sets of lash adjusters here from dohc heads; none of them are functional.I would replace them for sure. the older valvesprings are not great, a set of modern ones aren't nearly as costly as a bent valve.
Seems to be a common problem on the modulars. Mine made 0 noise with the stock pi cams but refused to pump up with the new cams. At least half of them had a ton of play when the cams are on the base circle.

I ordered new ford lash adjusters, MHS pac springs and chromoly retainers... hopefully that solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
If you overrev these engines to the point of floating the valves, they will spit out a follower. The follower can get stuck such that it holds the valve open until it gets smacked by a piston.
Unless that happens, you can just pop the follower back in with a screwdriver, with no damage.
The stuff you bought should minimize chances of anything floating.

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you overrev these engines to the point of floating the valves, they will spit out a follower. The follower can get stuck such that it holds the valve open until it gets smacked by a piston.
Unless that happens, you can just pop the follower back in with a screwdriver, with no damage.
The stuff you bought should minimize chances of anything floating.
Yeah, I definitely like to take the safe route, I'd rather not have to take the heads off again anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts