TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change valve springs without tearing the motor down?? My car had no compression in one of the cylinders, so I took the valve cover off, and immediately, I could see the problem. It definitely has a broken valve spring. I am not a mechanic, in fact, I've never worked on a car before, but an argument with my mechanic has led me to do this much work on my own.. anyway, do I have to take the cam off? is there a tool for changing the spings this way?? Please help!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You need to put air pressure on the cyl in question. so's not to drop valve..then there is no prob to screw down the spring sufficently to get a keeper/ retainer on. a friend fabbed his own tool out of square tube, flat stock , and a couple washers,, when we did my car... any how its doable tales a little finageling tho'
G' luck

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You don't have to put air in the cylinder either if you don't have a compressor. You can put the piston at BDC, drop a bunch of rope down the spark plug hole, then bring the piston up until it is tight. No worries about kicking an air hose loose and dropping the valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Any info you have on doing this will help me tremendously. When I took the valve cover off, and saw that the spring was broken, I also found that the cam follower (???) came completely out. What holds that thing in there?? Do I have more of a problem than just a broken spring? (ok, ok....a problem besides not knowing anything about cars?...lol)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
the follower is mainly held in by friction, so when you broke the valvespring, the follower probably came off at the same time. Just inspect everything well before you put it all back together to insure that nothing else was damaged.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
kdanner said:
You don't have to put air in the cylinder either if you don't have a compressor. You can put the piston at BDC, drop a bunch of rope down the spark plug hole, then bring the piston up until it is tight. No worries about kicking an air hose loose and dropping the valve.
What type do you use? - like a nylon rope?

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Kentwood said:

What type do you use? - like a nylon rope?
Nylon or poly, doesn't matter, just get it small enough to easily drop down the plug hole and drop in plenty when you do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can I change the spring without taking the cam off? And, if not, what's the torque on the cam bolts? (stock engine & cams)

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You have to leave the cam in place, the compressor hooks under the cam to compress the spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts