TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a forum newbie. I have a 1993 T-Bird with the 5.0 motor, and variable assist steering. Power steering Pump and return line are new, however the solenoid for the variable assist is bad and leaking somehow. I replaced all the O rings attempting to salvage the solenoid because I can't buy a new one. So, I did a search here in this excellent forum and saw through other posts that someone had actually mentioned getting rid of the variable assist, but I don't know how to do that. Can I simply buy the pressure line for the cars without Variable Assist and hope that it will bolt up to the pump, deleting the solenoid? Also, could I keep the current steering rack?
What all is necessary to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help. God bless and have a great Veterans Day :)

Evan

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
You may need to pick up a non-EVO high pressure side fitting for the current pump. The pump's actually the same, but the fitting is different.

However, RockAuto DOES show stock on reman'ed pumps with the EVO already installed. This may be your best bet.

The rack itself is the same, thankfully.

(The link is for a 1991 Cougar 5.0HO - but that's the same setup exactly your car has, so it's a valid cross.)

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a forum newbie. I have a 1993 T-Bird with the 5.0 motor, and variable assist steering. Power steering Pump and return line are new, however the solenoid for the variable assist is bad and leaking somehow. I replaced all the O rings attempting to salvage the solenoid because I can't buy a new one. So, I did a search here in this excellent forum and saw through other posts that someone had actually mentioned getting rid of the variable assist, but I don't know how to do that. Can I simply buy the pressure line for the cars without Variable Assist and hope that it will bolt up to the pump, deleting the solenoid? Also, could I keep the current steering rack?
What all is necessary to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help. God bless and have a great Veterans Day :)

Evan

I can understand your frustration with the leaky EVO Actuator.. :rolleyes:

In case you haven't seen this..Here's a run-down of the different O-rings, and Seals necesarry to keep your EVO from spitting everywhere.. :tongue:

I've listed all the Ford Part Numbers you need in the Diagram I created..

Thunderbird or Cougar EVO Part Numbers.jpg

EVO Actuator:
O-Ring: 384975-S94
O-Ring: 391032-S
O-Ring: 387571-S100

Power Steering High Pressure Line:
Teflon Seal: 388898-S
Teflon Seal: 388897-S

All of these O-Rings & Teflon Seals are available from Ford..

Just PM are resident Ford Parts Guy-->>FordPartsCounter

As far as deleting the EVO Actuator all together..Yeah you could do that by using a High Pressure Line from a NON-EVO Pump..

Just be aware when you're on the intersate doing 65-70mph you're going to wish you had not deleted the EVO..

The EVO Actuator tightens up your streering at higher speeds..You don't want your steering all loosey goosey if you need to react quickly at a high speed..

After looking at the diagram I created you can see there are several different sized O-Rings used on the EVO Actuator..Make sure to get the right ones..

Good Luck!

Rayo..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. Come to think about it, I believe the valve has already failed Wich would explain the granny steering on the highways. I'll give this solenoid another shot at the rebuild before I throw in the towel and delete it. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes. Thanks!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ive had the high pressure line replaced and it is still leaking fluid on my 1992 bird. Are the low pressure line and pump hard to replace?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As far as deleting the EVO Actuator all together..Yeah you could do that by using a High Pressure Line from a NON-EVO Pump..

Just be aware when you're on the intersate doing 65-70mph you're going to wish you had not deleted the EVO..

The EVO Actuator tightens up your streering at higher speeds..You don't want your steering all loosey goosey if you need to react quickly at a high speed..
I had an 89 base model Thunderbird without the EVO. It drove fine on the highway. The steering feel of a car that came without EVO is not the same as the feel of a car with non-working EVO. I think the pump side fitting for the non-EVO has a calibrated restriction that keeps the assist level reasonable in most driving situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts