TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about you guys with a 4.6. What kind of gas do you use (mostly stock engine) and what are your MPG's.

·
New Title Pending
56 Posts
I seem to be getting right around 300 per tank with both 87 and 93. I haven't changed the programming yet for premium gas in the EEC either.

Brian

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have found that with my mostly stock (240K miled) 4.6L it REALLY matters how I drive.

Normal driving I get around 23 mpg (that is with about 80% highway and 20% aggressive city driving. :D)

All Interstate driving, with the cruise set on about 78 mph, I get about 28 mpg.

All city driving and “hot rodding” it, I can usually only nurse 18.5 - 20 mpg.

So for me it seems that the throttle really matters. All those numbers are with 87 – 93 octane. I haven’t been able to tell the difference between octanes in regard to mileage.

Hope this helped. :thumbsup:

·
New Title Pending
56 Posts
What your numbers say is that you are normally getting 400 miles to the tank, 500 if you cruise at 78mph on a hiway trip, and 350 if you are hot rodding. That's a little hard to believe.

Brian

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
bjherron said:
What your numbers say is that you are normally getting 400 miles to the tank, 500 if you cruise at 78mph on a hiway trip, and 350 if you are hot rodding. That's a little hard to believe.

Brian
Uh, well yes. If I were to SUCK THE TANK DRY!!! On a normal basis I usually fill up at about 320 - 330 miles. At that point I put in about 14 to 15 gallons. You do the math. (Oh and the speedometer is correct)

The best I have ever gotten was 31 mpg doing 70 mph through states that have a speed limit of 65.

Sorry if you don't believe me. Guess everyone has their opinion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm averaging about 19-20 mpg on 87 with what is considered "crap gas" because it's cheap. Is that bad? I really haven't noticed a difference with name-brand gas. Actually a little of a decline.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Best mileage I've ever seen on my 95 Cougar is right at 24. That's all highway miles at 77mph or so. We'll see if it gets any better when I rebuild the engine.

The 96 Tbird is just about the same, even though it has lower gears. It tachs about 500 RPM more for the same MPH.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My stock 95 is getting a consistent 23 on regular 87 octane. That's with 80% highway and 20 % city driving. It has a 3.08 rear gear and turns about 1800 rpm at 70 mph.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
I average about 23mpg, using 89 octane. In my experience, I've noticed that performance and economy suffer when using 87 octane (19-21mpg). With premium (93), results vary, usually from 22 to 24mpg. The most I recorded on a tank of gas was 514 miles, at 70mph. Routinely, I get a 'combined' 400-420 miles per tank. I usually get BP gasoline, or Amoco, or Shell.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I average 18.4 mpg on 89 octane Shell gas. No difference between the 89 and 87, just using 89 to combat pinging (and it has reduced it...).

I average about 285 miles before fill up, and I typically pump about 15.5-16 gallons.

That is 98% aggressive city driving though, I don't spend much time on the highway until I'm in Orlando this fall!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have done some road trips and if I get 22mpg I am impressed. I am shocked and amazed at how high gas mileage you ppl are getting. If I drive mine hard I get 16 mpg, normally I get about 18.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess something is wrong with my car then, because I used to get 19 with 87 and now I'm getting 17 with 89. But the car seems to run better with 89.:confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
With my bird it depends on which brand. Either 7-11 or Shell. It goes farther with Shell gas, but wallet is heavier with 7-11 gas.
In the Lincoln I use Sinclair 93 octane and get 330 to a tank. (Lots of town, lots of highway, and a few 1/4 mile passes)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I got about 290 miles on my last tank..and i drove it extremely hard the whole time. I think it averaged out to be between 19 and 20 mpg. It was mostly highway driving, but at 80+ and passing a LOT of ppl. Thats the only full tank of gas I've gone through in the 4.6 so far :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I took my bird to Boynton Beach back in April I averaged between 25 and 26 MPG while cruising anywhere between 80 and 85 on the trip there and betwen 80 and 95 MPH on the way back. I couldn't go over 85 on the the way there because one of my tires developed a vibration and I didn't want to break something out in BFE. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
these engines are not high compression engines by any means so 87 gas should be fine for most if not all stock applications. there wont be any difference in mileage between octanes simply cuz the octane rating is how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the plug, it causes knocking. but anyways your still putting the same quantity of gas into the engine no matter what octane.
personally i have a lead foot like others on here, and typically i get about 20mpg. 28 does not seem at all unreasonable as long as you baby it and highway cruise a lot and dont let it idle too long

1 - 20 of 35 Posts