TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any vehicle identification tags on the 94/95 bird except for the vin tag under the windshield and the sticker on the door frame?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
557 Posts
there is an information tag on the core support under the hood. on my brother's '94 cougar, i would imagine its the same for tbirds, there was a vin tag on the rear bumper, but i can't remember the exact location

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
On my 97 (might apply to you) there are VIN stickers stuck on miscellaneous parts, like on the frame for the hood on the passenger's side near the support brace, and on the tops of the fenders.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
On my 97 (might apply to you) there are VIN stickers stuck on miscellaneous parts, like on the frame for the hood on the passenger's side near the support brace, and on the tops of the fenders.
i didnt realise they did that. i figured the only one was the windsheild one.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats interesting, doesn't really do much good if somebody uses junkyard parts to fix a car though

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
yep I lost my fender and hood with a vin sticker so its no longer a match. I hated losing that originality but the hood was ruined anyway.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would suspect that the exact locations are not readily available or published. They are definitely used by law enforcement to identify stolen parts.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
There are also tabs on each side of the body if you remove the Fenders they are underneath.
Ive also seen VIN for a Mark on the Rear decklid / back window area - they dont have the vin under the fenders like the Birds.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
They are definitely used by law enforcement to identify stolen parts.
There are marks that are only possible to be found by cutting the unibody open in the right spot. If it comes to that, they usually send the guy who know where out to do the looking.

There is supposedly a list of locations for every car after OBDC2, which also has the vin in the eec. That includes my MN12, but not all.

When I rebuilt my Black Cougar from being totaled, I had to list the vin number of every car I removed a major piece from. That included the upper and lower control arm, exhaust, gas tank... minor repair parts, really.

If I had failed to mention the rebuilt thing to the JY guys, I would not have gotten the paperwork needed (with vins) to get the safety department to issue me tags. :)

There is a sticker in the driver's doorjamb that is required for my car to be legal; when they pull me for speeding, they ask to see the sticker.

I think this is a good thing, really; If someone steals one of my babys, I want his nuts in a vice. :zdevil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts