TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on TCCOA but did not find what I needed to know about my Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

I suspect my speed sensor may be crapping out, but when I went to replace it, the type I have is not showing up except under Ford, as a drawing, so I don't know if the pic is correct. My speed sensor has the gears on the speed sensor that goes into the transmission. All other products under RockAuto and other stores show a VSS that the part that goes into the transmission is smooth, not a gear, but has a speedometer shaft at the end of the VSS.

Was this a change made some time ago to use a speedometer cable shaft end instead of a gear? The pic shows the type with a smooth shaft and speedo cable end.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
That looks like where the gear goes, to me.

There's a clip you pull, and the gear slides off, and you put it on your new sensor.

That said, I can't see how one would go bad...

I've had the same sensor in 5 different transmissions by now, in Lazarus.

And a big collection of Green gears, lol. I'm using the purple one. :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned a lot...

In my research on this issue, I learned quite a bit.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS is the item in the first post pic above. It lets the car know how fast the wheels are turning.

The other sensor on the tranny, the one i bought by accident is the Transmission Speed sensor. It tells the PCM how fast the transmission is turning. which works with the engine to control the balance of speed and torque to the drive shaft.

It turns out that some of the issues I am having with my tranny is related to the speed sensor. And of course, my Ford Service Manual does not go into detail on how to replace it. From what I can tell, I will need to drop the front half of the exhaust to access that part of the tranny. If I had small hands, like someone we know, I could probably get in there, but after removing and re-installing the VSS, I doubt I can get in that area without dropping the exhaust.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I was able to plug in the connector on one, with some difficulty, using channellock pliers; you Might be able to pull it out with a couple of ujoints.

It's an english size bolt!! 7/16", iirc.

The tranny sensor bolts are one of the few english ones on our cars. :)

The TC bolts are english as well. I always remember that just after I round one off.

Before you unbolt everything, support the tranny, and yank the tranny mount crossmember bolts, and it will drop down a bit, that might help.

Just be careful not to put it in a bind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts