TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a couple days above freezing so I got the radiator swapped out on the bird. As per the tech article step #5, "Remove vent plug on water bypass elbow (located on intake manifold behind water outlet connection). I assume this is for purging air from the cooling system. Is this supposed to be located behind the thermostat housing or in the back of the engine by the heater hoses? Reason I ask is I can't locate the vent plug on the stock intake and the last time I flushed the system it puked the head gasket in a matter of hours. I'm not driving the car right now while the front end is being done. I don't want to blow another gasket. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Rick

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
The vent plug reference pertains to the 3.8L engines:

"5. Remove vent plug on water bypass elbow (located on intake manifold behind water outlet connection) on 3.8l engines (at this step, you may want to backflush the radiator, motor and heater core -- steps are below)."

Is that what you're working on? Your "bio" states you have a 4.6L engine.... :D

Here's the diagram for the 3.8 engine if you need it. The vent plug is #4:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Ironchopz, no I have the 4.6 in the bird, my concern was when reading other posts talking about superheated pockets of air and "burping the system". Probably my fault for not noticing whether or the guys were running the 3.8 or 4.6. Like I said the last time I flushed the coolant it blew a headgasket and after dumping almost $3k on a reman and installation I didn't want to go through it again. The tech article said the info was out of a svc manual for a 4.6/3.8 in 94. Once again, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The 4.6 does not have a vent to burp air.

Do one of two things;

1. Remove T-Stat. Fill system with anti-freeze until all air bubbles out.
Then put T-stat back together, continue filling.

2. Remove heater hose at pass. side rear of intake. Fill system until all air bubbles out. Put hose back on, and continue filling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts