TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to follow the cooling system flush procedures, I know that opening the VENT PLUG is important to get the air out of the system when refilling.

My problem is that I absolutely cannot get the Vent plug unfrozen. I've tried liguid wrench, penetrating oils to no avail. When I put some muscle into it, the whole vent plug assembly rotates. So I was wondering if I can (or should) just screw the whole vent plug assembly off of the engine block to try soaking it?

I called parts at my local Ford dealer here in San Francisco ([email protected] Ford) and the guy said he had never even heard of a vent plug on a 3.8 engine. DUH! :)

If I don't remove the whole vent plug assembly, can I just remove the attached hose to vent the system?

Also, should I definitely plan on replacing the thermostat? Motorcraft, or Stant better than another? Gaskets always needed too?

I would like to try to flush the system myself, since the last time I took it into the local radiator shop, they flushed it, strained the coolant, put in some new additivies and that's it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
5,650 Posts
Sounds like the plug is corroded pretty good. What you could try is having a wrench on the fitting that the plug screws into so that it won't move.

You should always replace the thermostat when flushing the system. It's cheap anyway. Motorcraft is best. And a new gasket.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Had the same problem. You have two choices:

1) two wrenches that fit the extension and the plug
a) extension bars for both.
b) two people, one to hold the extension peice wrench/pipe and the other person to break loose the vent plug.

2) Remove the assembly and put it on a vise and remove the plug (that is what I did) and yes, they are rusted shut. Once you get it off, good chance the plug threads will be f*k'd up you will need to get another assembly from a yard (I did). Or use the old one hope you never have to pull it off again.

MAKE SURE TO USE ANTI-SEAZE COMPOND WHEN RE-INSTALLING THE CAP!

Flush
http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Mercury/Coolsys/Cooling Flush.htm
Fill
http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Mercury/Coolsys/Cooling System Draining.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great reply and suggestions about clamping the vent plug in a vise; but your're talking to a City-Slicker who lives in Downtown San Francisco!! :)

I feel fortunate than most to even be able to have wheels in the city and a place to park it too!

Prior to posting I did try to use a socket on the hex plug itself and a vise grip on the assembly, but I couldn't muster enough force.

I think your suggestion about trying to get another through the junk yards is great, however, with the price of real estate in the Bay area, they don't exist. Perthaps in the Central Valley.

I also thought about sending a message to Jason, (Our TCCOA Ford parts guy) to see if they are possibly available from Ford.

At least I know you were successful at taking the whole Vent Plug Assembly out of the engine block without complications.

Cheers, (and thanks again)
Tobester

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i may have one on my old engine. you interested?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, I'm interested.

Now you did say that your vent plug is totally loose, right :tongue:

BTW, what happened to your old engine? Did you have the dreaded head gasket problem?

Let me know,

Thanks.
Tobester

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
yep, t'was hg's

i never opened it, but we do have a vice and such. the one on my new engine works fine. i'll check it out this evening. you want the whole thing right?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
ok, i got it off. the vent screw was tough, but i got it loose. i can clean it up and put some anti-seize on it and get it to ya for $15 shipped. let me know

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
let me know if it will work. i cleaned it up today. ready to ship. LMK!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts