TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My bird is very very dirty. Lots of road gunk and tar. I was told to use dawn as car wash. Is this right? and whats good for getting them stuck on stuff like the tar? I do have some bug and tar remover but it sucks. Maybe i need more elbow greese? I dunno about anyone else car but on my one when u open the door while sitting in it and look below the bottom hidge there is a lot of leaves and gunk in there. Im thinking one of them bolt grabbers to get it out? amy way to pervent it from coming back? And back to washing...Is Gold class a good Wax? Liquid or paste wax better? And my last question is whats best for cleaning dirty rims?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can say that dawn is good for washing the car. I use westleys car wax and have for years. I'm happy with it. I'm lazy when it comes to washing and waxing and cleaning off road tar. I'd take it to a blue becon truck wash and have them use the orange wash on it. May cost you about 10-12 dollars but it will come out real clean. Rims and all. Then I'd take it home and put two good coats of wax on it.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
Do not use Dawn dishwashing deterchent on your car...............it is terrible on paint jobs !
Use real car wash liquid, about $4.00 for a big bottle at auto zone.
Follow the directions on the bug and tar removers..........I use to think they didnt work until I started using them according to the directions.............tuff tar, use wd-40 on a rag, but make sure you wash it right off with car wash shampoo right after removing the tar.............
If your careful you can clean that area by the door hinge with a hose on low flow..........

·
Registered
112 Posts
goodguy said:
why is dawn terrible on paint jobs? I use it on my cars and my big truck with no problems so far.
I think why SHADOW said Dawn is "bad" for paint jobs is because Dawn not only takes off all the grease and grime, but also removes ALL the wax or polish and oils from the paint and leaves your finish totally unprotected! ALWAYS follow a 'dawn' washing with a good wax or polish. My choice? Zaino! It will leave you car looking like a giant mirror! Read why here : http://www.zainostore.com
:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless i'm missing something, he is going to put fresh wax on the car anyway. Why put fresh wax over what is left of the old stuff???

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was watching some car t.v. yesterday and they were saying that peanut butter will have the same effect. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
a guy told me i was full of poop when i said dishwashing soap is a no no. yea u guys should see his car the freakin idiot. if ur cars wax is kept up there should b no problem. tar, bugs, u name it it never sticks to my car when i wash it. i keep it waxed and clean. brake dust just washes of my wheels when i spray them with water.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Its pretty simple...

When you plan on putting a fresh coat of wax on the car...use dawn.

When you arent planning to wax the car afterward, DONT use dawn.

If you wash it with the dawn and dont wax it again, your paint is subject to all of the elements becuase its not protected.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The best way to remove road tar and such is with a clay bar, available from Mother's. And I'm not thrilled with dish detergent as a car wash either. You may not have any problems with Dawn as a shampoo either, but that doesn't mean it's good for your hair.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Sal Zaino, the master of car polish recommends using Dawn to clean your car before you start his treatment. Dawn will pretty much strip it straight down to the bare paint, so it's a great thing to use right before you wax your car. Like others have said though, I wouldn't use it unless I was going to wax the car right afterwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts