TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '94 SC(auto) w/ 123,xxx miles on it. I have a buddy that has a stock '91 SHO (5-spd)with 157,xxx miles on it. Everytime we race he is about .5 car length ahead at 100mph. What would be the best, and fewest mods to do to consistanly beat him? Any thoughts? In the springtime I will have cat-back exhaust done, with cold air. Would this be enough??? Any thoughts on what else is needed, and affordable(>$1000)????? Thanks

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Consider a 5% Overdrive pulley and a raised top - both for the Supercharger. With having an auto, also consider doing the J-mod to your transmission and a better torque converter. Might spend closer to $1500 but I think with all the mods, would be able to beat your friend's SHO.

Hopefully someone else can back me up on this in case I forgot something :)

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd say the exhaust. Resonator and mufflers will probably get you there. The 5% and raised top are good mods also. Do those three and you will be smoking him from a stop to where ever you stop.

I have completely killed a couple of those cars with my mods.

Julian

·
Registered
270 Posts
Aluminum Jackshaft pulley....Good bang for buck. Havent got one yet but have heard all good things about it

·
Registered
291 Posts
T-bird4vr said:
I'd say the exhaust. Resonator and mufflers will probably get you there. The 5% and raised top are good mods also. Do those three and you will be smoking him from a stop to where ever you stop.

I have completely killed a couple of those cars with my mods.

Julian
If you go with the exhaust alone you will lose worse.....because of the fact that your boost drops and it feels like you lose low end TQ. However, you will gain on the mid to upper region of the power band.

Get the exhaust done from the cats back($700) a 5% overdrive pulley ($80), get an IC fan ($60) .......and you will own him.

Like the guys said before....you should consider the J-Mod or a shift kit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you go with the exhaust alone you will lose worse.....because of the fact that your boost drops
Ummmm, No, not exactly. Your "apparant" boost will drop up to 1.5 psi. But that 1.5 psi isn't boost, it's backpressure! The old hot rodders saying still applies to our cars, "Do the Exhaust FIRST". It don't matter how big your blower is, if the spent gasses can't get out of the engine, you'll be down on power.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ahhh yeah. I thought when I mentioned that boost drops people would understand that I am talking about backpressure decreasing........ since boost is a representation of how much backpressure is being produced.

And I am not saying don't do the exhaust first, all I am saying is that while you will gain more HP with an exhaust alone.....the low end TQ that we all know and love will not be as before, unless he overdrives the blower.

So yeah....I still say that if he is is getting blasted from stop light to stop light, by doing the exhaust alone he will lose even more.......but will gain in mid to top end speed. Of course that's just my way of thinking.

;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
When I did exhaust, it made a huge difference. Mid to top end power felt 300X's better. I didn't really notice anything low end, but it turns out that an overdrive pulley was on my SC when I bought it and didn't realize it. The only mod the guy did! So maybe I can't really commit on that. Anyway, exhaust, sc overdrive pulley, underdrive accessories, and gears are suspose to be the only ones you can feel.
I don't know. Take it for what it's worth.

Julian

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I say exhaust! I think the worst part isn't from the resonator back, it's from the resonator forward. For the low-$ solution, I would get ported stock manifolds and custom downpipes with hi-flow cats, then a y-pipe into your existing piping. You could do the rest later by increasing the tailpipe and muffler size and swapping to the appropriate y-pipe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Worst Part of the Exhaust

BTDT advice: Blowing HG's is Very Expensive. I decided I didn't want to replace HG's any more. So I eliminated Every restriction in my exhaust sustem (Big Dawg + headers + down tubes).

Then I tried to eliminate the intake restrictions (that I viewed as legitimate). I replaced the 55mm MAF with a 70mm MAF.

I left the 65mm throttle body, because the 65mm to 70mm difference in Throttle Body is almost nothing.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
369 Posts
68COUGAR said:
Re: Worst Part of the Exhaust
I left the 65mm throttle body, because the 65mm to 70mm difference in Throttle Body is almost nothing.
68COUGAR
16% difference

75mm is 33%

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
a smaller pulley and raised top should take off at least 3/10's of a second from a 1/4 mile time. So if you're going upto 100mph you should beat him by a car length or mroe with just those two things.
-Thomas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts