TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
very quick question. Finally got my engine out!

So I need to pull my engine, but I dont have a hoist yet. I will be getting one tonight but I want to prep everything to make it a little easier. I was just wondering if I needed to have the hoist hooked up when I remove the engine mount bolts? Do I need a transmission stand if I am unbolting the tranny? Please take it easy on me as this is my first time pulling an engine, I have been searching for about a month for all details and I believe I have the majority of the info. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
So I need to pull my engine, but I dont have a hoist yet. I will be getting one tonight but I want to prep everything to make it a little easier. I was just wondering if I needed to have the hoist hooked up when I remove the engine mount bolts? Do I need a transmission stand if I am unbolting the tranny? Please take it easy on me as this is my first time pulling an engine, I have been searching for about a month for all details and I believe I have the majority of the info. Thanks for any and all help.
You can unbolt the engine and tranny mounts. If you unbolt the tranny CROSSMEMBER, it will drop in the back - gravity is a law. If you want to prep it for being pulled, do all the other stuff like the fuel lines, wiring, torque converter nuts, vacuum lines, radiator, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor, etc, etc.

That was my "very quick answer", btw ;)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
also, if you plan to pull only the engine, leaving the trans in the car - you will need something (trans jack?) to hold it up. what i do is label all wires/hoses that need removed, then pull them. less confusion later. good luck.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for placing the thread in the wrong place. I have another question though. How do I remove the trans lines from the radiator so I can remove the radiator? I see that it is threaded but I am terrified that I will break the line or fitting or both. Do they just thread off?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Load up the connection points with PB B'laster and let it soak for a few minutes, then load it up again and let it sit for a few hours. Then come back and use a flare nut wrench to take the fittings out.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I have a new question. Since I am only pulling the engine, could I safely put a jack stand under the tranny so it wont move? I was thinking a jack stand with some wood on it to distribute the weight of the tranny evenly so as not to damage anything.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Okay I have a new question. Since I am only pulling the engine, could I safely put a jack stand under the tranny so it wont move? I was thinking a jack stand with some wood on it to distribute the weight of the tranny evenly so as not to damage anything.
Either works fine for holding up the transmission during / after the engine is removed.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well everything is moving along, I havent had too much time to work on the car but when I do, I work quickly. I do have a new question though. I was supposed to pick up an 05 CV engine tomorrow, I called up and found out they just sold it today. So I went and checked out a few other places and found a few police interceptor engines with low miles, (unknown idle time). I was just wondering if the oil cooler would be an issue, if not, how would I hook it up?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You mean the oil cooler for the water neck outlet / Oil filter adapter ?? You could always remove it and replace it with the standard type. Otherwise you would need to run lines like the CV's are setup.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I guess I'm making this my official "new to engine swaps questions" thread because I have yet another issue. The heater hose on the back of the intake manifold will not come free. I usually can twist a heater hose until it comes loose then from there it's cake. The one on the back of the manifold is sitting on this little green thing that spins with the hose, so my easy way out is not gonna work. From searching I can only seem to find out where to get a new one from. But how do I get mine off so I can take off my manifold?

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
As long as you can get a new one, slit the end of the hose with a razor blade. You'll be able to peel it off the fitting then.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yup, that looks like the one that clamps onto the RH rear of the intake manifold.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't even know that was invented! I am literally going to be a harbor freight when they open tomorrow. Thanks Racecougar!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm attempting, key word there attempting, to get the starter off and I have never wanted to punch a Ford engineer in the face more than I want to today. I cant even get a socket on that last bolt on top. Hell I can barely see it. I need a tip or trick or some kind of help. Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts