TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not easy to discribe but it sound like a sort of (low) electric motor. Only when i am driving slow but if i stop to find the location under the hood (it's comming from the motor compartment) it dissapears. This sound is now and then, not all the time. No warning lights and the powersteering works fine. It's not the fuelpump because i recognise the sound of a dying fuelpump and i replaced it for a few months ago. What can it be?:leftright
Thanks,

By the way, my car get's all the maintanance at time following the instructions by Ford.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, i have to look in my manual to find out where i can find these parts (never heard of it before),
Thanks anyway.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Eh? Your never heard of a serpentine belt or idler pulley?

Look at the front of your motor and you will see a belt that runs off the crankshaft pulley, That is the serptitine belt. If you follow the path of the serp belt you will see that it goes through a tensioner and then rides on a single pulley before the Alt. Spray lube (WD-40 or whatever) on the bearing of the pulley to see if it stops the noise and if it does replace the pulley.

What part of this do you not understand?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, now i understand and what to do. Do not forget, i am from overseas, i learned english at school but we never learn words/technical things like this you know.
I will try and let you know if things worked out!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the lube stops the noise replace the pulley? and eh....what exactly is a bearing?
Thanks for helping me!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll try this weekend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its not all the time, but only occasionally, it may be the AC compressor pump turning on and off. Locate this and see if the sound comes from there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every time when i stop to locate it's gone, so i don't think it has to do with the AC pump. First i'll try the bearing.
Thanks

·
8,239 Posts
I would throw out all the tensioner pulleys and get new ones. They are dirt cheap here, just get new ones. You will know the bearing is trashed when you remove the tensioner pulley, and spin it and it sounds like gravel. The new one will spin smoothly and not make a noise.

While you are replacing the pulleys, its a good time to replace the serpentine belt.

Figure about 5 bucks for each pulley, and 19 bucks for the belt.

About a 20 minute job even if you have never turned a wrench before.

JH

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Robert;

The tensioner pulley, and the idler pulley can be replaced, using the same new pulley for both positions. They have improved bearing seals.

You do not have to replace the tensioner arm, but just the pulley on the arm.

I can post a picuture if you need further clarification.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Steve,
I will be pleased if you would get me a picture of that. Is it really a simple job to do and is this better instead of spray some WD 40 on it?
If someone can let me know where i can buy the stuff to fix this problem!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have no computer at home (after the burglary for two weeks ago) The insurance company will pay us in about 3 weeks. So, i can only check the forum from monday till friday at work.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Is it really a simple job to do and is this better instead of spray some WD 40 on it?
The WD-40 trick is just to verify that the pulley bearing is the problem and IS NOT the fix for the problem. Replacing the pulley would be the fix for a bad pulley bearing be it the tensoiner pulley or the idler pulley. I have seen more idler pulleys fail/scream then the tensoiner pulleys so that is why I would try that one first. They will make the most noise when cold so the morning is a good time to check.

You will need a 1/2 inch ratchet to "pry" the tensioner arm so you can remove the belt. You can see the square hole on the Lightning style tensioner I have. After you remove the belt remove the single bolt for the idler pulley or the three 13mm bolts for the tensioner arm depending on witch is the culprit.
Mine might look different but it's basicly the same as your setup and as a matter of fact I still retain the stock '94 serptine belt routing underneath the Front engine bracket you see here.

Make sense Eh?

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:

You will need a 1/2 inch ratchet to "pry" the tensioner arm so you can remove the belt. You can see the square hole on the Lightning style tensioner I have. After you remove the belt remove the single bolt for the idler pulley or the three 13mm bolts for the tensioner arm depending on witch is the culprit.
Mine might look different but it's basicly the same as your setup and as a matter of fact I still retain the stock '94 serptine belt routing underneath the Front engine bracket you see here.

Make sense Eh?
Please! You're just confusing the man with that picture!
:2huh:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If it sounds like an electric motor, it may be your electric fan, possibly the A/C compressor. Hope this helps man
-Rob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yet another testiment to the search button:D

A couple days ago my engine starting skreeching. I figured it was one of the pullys and planned on looking into it tomarrow since I got the day off. Now I'm positive as to what the problem is!!!!

YAY!!!!!!

Cheers:cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts

Item Description
1 Generator
2 Water Pump Pulley
3 Power Steering Pump Pulley
4 Crankshaft Pulley
5 A/C Compressor
6 Drive Belt
7 Drive Belt Tensioner
8 Belt Idler Pulley

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stephen C let me know if you solved this prob! I do have a Chiltons manual so i'll hope this will make things easier to repair. I have to say i did first the WD 40 job but did no driven the Bird after it. This week i will take it for a ride and let you all know if it's still there.

Robert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts