TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing the VFN pin on cowl hood, but I'm concerned that the pin on will have more flex than the bolt on. I'm not looking for dramatic high speed flex because if I do paint it I want it to last. Is the bolt on hood really worth the extra $$$?

I'm not afraid of Dzus fasteners. If I were to go with the pin on hood I'd run 12 of them (5 down each side and 2 up front). If I went with the bolt on again I'd run 2 regular hood pins this time. I'm finally in a position that will afford me with the needed $$$ to buy one of these beautiful hoods again. I won't be painting it (at least not right away).

From what my body shop has told me my car is in fantastic shape now aside from the faded hood which frankly if I'm going to have a hood painted it might as well be the last one I'll buy plus this will allow for future underhood growth.

Opinions? Bolt on? Pin on? Neither?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You had one previously? I would vote for bolt on...I wish I had a VFN hood, but my Cobra R hood is ok I guess...being able to open it like a regular hood is nice, dealing with lifting off a hood on the side of the road on a windy day. Hood pins are a definate must, but you knew that.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You had one previously? I would vote for bolt on...I wish I had a VFN hood, but my Cobra R hood is ok I guess...being able to open it like a regular hood is nice, dealing with lifting off a hood on the side of the road on a windy day. Hood pins are a definate must, but you knew that.
It's a long story, but yes I once had one, a bolt on, fitted/painted un-pinned, however it's life was short lived. Mostly due to some baseball bat on car unnecessary violence from an ex., then I put my dented stock one on it, and eventually found a matching one at the junkyard and traded my dented one for the faded one. I'm tired of that and I am ready for the cowl hood to return additionally I have some under hood plans that will necessitate the stock hood to have holes or for me to get a cowl hood.

I don't mind the "hassle" of a lift off/pin on hood I've delt with them before. My only concern is rigidity. I don't want to buy the pin on version only to find that it wallows in the wind and buckles. The bolt on was very stout. However I did read an install article on a F-body site where someone mentioned that the VFN pin on was more sturdy then the Harwood hood that someone had previously installed which allowed them to run 6 conventional hood pins rather than a dozen Dzus fasteners.

Personally I think the Dzus fasteners look better then conventional pins, however I'm not opposed to mixing and matching either. :D

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I have a pin on VFN hood sitting on the roof of my car right now. Been there about a year now. It seems sturdy but don't have a bolt on to compare it to

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a pin on VFN hood sitting on the roof of my car right now. Been there about a year now. It seems sturdy but don't have a bolt on to compare it to
What car? How many fasteners are you using to hold it on? Any high speed flex issues?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts