TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with it since its my first aftermarket hood I am trying to put on maybe I don't know what I am doing. The back of the hood fits fine but the front is sort of lifted. I can get the passenger side front of the hood flush with the fender but then the drivers side is lifted up like 2inches. Its almost like its hitting something but it isnt I've checked everything but nothing comes close to hitting it. I just don't know what would cause it to be lifted like that. I've even pulled the back two hinges off and that still didn't work out. The back is fine its only in front that is the issue. How should I attempt to fix it. Its a 97 hood on a 94sc. Do I need th 97 hinges? or something else?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I think your problem is that it’s a 96-97 hood, your going to get spacing in between the hood and lights cause you have 94-95 lights on there if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has nothing to do with the headlights even though I do have 96-97 headlights. Its like the whole drivers side front is sticking up

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
x182dan said:
it has nothing to do with the headlights even though I do have 96-97 headlights. Its like the whole drivers side front is sticking up
Maybe a bad mold or was damaged during shipping:confused:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if its a bad mold I am probably going to have to eat all this money because I've had the hood since the summer and just got around to putting it on there now

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
all the way up front by the bumpers right??? for me. i actually removed the bumpers, and put the hood pins in place of the holes in the radiator support... i noticed that was my biggest problem... after all by the time you remove those bumpers you still have the ones on the fenders that keep it up a little bit...

ive ran it now for 7 months that way with no bumpers and hood pins and works fine

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it was hitting the bumpers but it didnt appear to be at all. I don't know though this weekend I will take a better look. I can push the hood so its flat so it fits but it just won't stay in place

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
x182dan said:
I can push the hood so its flat so it fits but it just won't stay in place
If you can do that then you have a bad hood, the mold is off or damaged in shipping. See if you can call VFN, do you have a 1 year warranty or something? My Dad got a VFN for his mustang a couple years back and had a one year on it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea I will check my papers tonight

I wouldnt be suprised if I had a bad mold. First time around they sent me a STOCK fiberglass hood, I called them back and they admitted fault I waited another month for the cowl hood to come which was only a month turnaround which usually takes 3months so maybe they rushed it and messed up somehow. How Could I tell if its a bad mold to be sure? The reason I ask is I don't want to send the hood to them and have them say its fine because it cost me $150 to get it shipped to me so thats $300 in shipping

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Its doing the diving board? You push down and it fits, but it springs right back up when you let go?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OxmanWI said:
Its doing the diving board? You push down and it fits, but it springs right back up when you let go?
ya kinda

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Sounds like a bad hood, did you send a PM to Johnny L? I guess he had the same problem? Talk to people with the same hood and do some research, call the company and see if you have a one year on it. I'm kinda curious cause I want to get the same hood too, but not if it’s giving people problems.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It wasn't too bad making my VFN hood fit. I have a '93 with '94 bumper and '97 headlights.

First I had to hack the hood hinges to fit. The back was sitting 1/4" too high. They are now flat where they bolt up to the hood instead of L shaped. Then made a clearance hole in the underside for the radiator cap since the radiator sits a lil' higher than stock.

I also had to modify the hood latch to be adjustable. There was a locating pin or something that had to be ground off.

Throw away those little rubber bumpers on the fenders. They wouldn't let my hood shut.

I picked up some non-locking Aerocatch hood latches. They mount flush with the hood and are paintable. Using them for safety and the latch for locking.

You might try just removing everything that COULD be in the way and see if the hood sits flat. I used globs of bearing grease to see where stuff was hitting. Messy but effective. Didn't have any clay handy.

I wasn't real happy with the 80 grit finish or alot of the edges. That can be expected with most hoods though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
take out the two bolts that hold the hood latch on, then see if it closes correctly. Adjust the bumpers to level the edge with the fenders. Then put the latch back on and adjust it so it closes properly, you might have to remove the dowl pin on the back of the latch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts