TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 94 4.6 Cougar with 242,000 miles on it. Engine has not been rebuild, trans was replaced at 90k. The car has developed a vibration at idle but only when in drive. Anybody experienced this. The tranny mounts and engine mounts are original but I just recently put the polyurethane irs bushings in.

I'm wondering if maybe now that I firmed up the diff that the other mounts finally gave up the ghost.

Anybody?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I would be willing to bet you motor mounts are toast if they are origional. Open your hood, put your car in second gear wth your foot firmly on the brake and raise the idle slightly. If yout drivers side mount is bad you will see your motr rise up on the the drivers side. repeat the same process but in reverse (the gear that is) to test the passenger side

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check your idle speed. Check your vacume lines and IAC (might needs to be cleaned). Fuel injectors might need to be cleaned. And I don't think that it could be the motor mounts because if it is the motor mounts it should vibrate all of the time, not just in drive.

-Brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TbirdJLcustom said:
Check your idle speed. Check your vacume lines and IAC (might needs to be cleaned). Fuel injectors might need to be cleaned. And I don't think that it could be the motor mounts because if it is the motor mounts it should vibrate all of the time, not just in drive.

-Brian
Not a bad suggestion. They are the original injectors and iac. I haven't cleaned the injectors for about 100k (I have an ultrasonic cleaner) and I've never even removed the iac. Hadn't really thought about it but that is surprising. The iac is usually a big problem on fords. I had to clean the one on my ranger all the time. Car runs perfectly otherwise.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Just wondering, have you had the car since new? That's quite a bit of miles on all that original equipment....

:eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, my wife is the original owner, but not all the equipment is original. Replaced the trans at 90k and rebuilt the whole front suspension at 190k because the tires were wearing funny. Then of course a long list of normalk maintainence items like fuel pump, water pump, bearings, u-joints, etc. and of course oil changes every 3-5k without fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts