TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how important the vibration damper that is attached the the transmission near the transmission mount on a 97 T-bird 4.6 automatic is? I had a new aftermarker catalytic converter (Walker PN 50516) and it would not clear it. The shop removed it so they could get the cat to fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
did the shop show you the part they removed? Maybe I've just been out of the mechanics game for too long but I can't see why they'd need to remove anything to fit the walker catted y pipe assembly

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I agree with blue, I had the full Y Magnaflow aftermarket assembly put in, not too long ago. Zero clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Can anyone tell me how important the vibration damper that is attached the the transmission near the transmission mount on a 97 T-bird 4.6 automatic is? I had a new aftermarker catalytic converter (Walker PN 50516) and it would not clear it. The shop removed it so they could get the cat to fit.

Thanks
If this is the same vibration damper referenced in this article, it dampens driveshaft harmonics and you'll want to keep it.
See halfway down in the paragraph starting with "One Side Note"
http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page17.shtml

-g

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did the shop show you the part they removed? Maybe I've just been out of the mechanics game for too long but I can't see why they'd need to remove anything to fit the walker catted y pipe assembly
I have the part. It's about the size of a beer can and sounds like it had buck shot inside.

·
Registered
891 Posts
What part are you talking about ? I can t open the page . I changed out my tranny and redid my whole exhaust and have no idea what you're talking about

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I have the part. It's about the size of a beer can and sounds like it had buck shot inside.

It's a vibration damper, like you said. And yes, it is full of lead shot,IIRC. :)

It was probably in the rearmost holes, like mine was, and go in the way.

I had a similar problem, and yes, it does need to be there.

It should fit in the most forward set of holes. :)

I'd use it if I could. :D

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Axle Shaft Damper

Here's a diagram pic of what I think the OP is talking about..

4R70W Extension Housing Damper.JPG

Does anyone have an actual pic of one of these??

Rayo..

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
RobertP removed mine when we did the J-mod. I couldn't tell a difference. The transmission has 168,000 hard driven miles on it, still buttery smooth.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I removed mine a long time ago, HOWEVER

I have had the tail shaft housing loosen up three different times on two different transmissions, so there may be some usefulness to the weight. :zdunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vibration damper

Thanks for all your replies. The picture is very helpful, I will have to see if mine has the extra holes and if it will work.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts