TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching and it seems that there are multiple things that could cause the vibration I am having. It also seems these cars have a known issue for vibrations. So I wanted to toss my issue out there and see what you guys think.

I have a 1994 Cougar with the 4.6L V8. Driving from 0 to 55 the car is fine with no issues. Once you hit about 60 then you get a vibration and it is really an all over vibration vs. just in the steering wheel. The faster you get the less the vibration is there which is probably just due to the increased speed. However up to around 75 it is still there just not as bad.

I would say it is a tire balance issue as there is no cluncking or free play in the driveshaft but you guys might have some other ideas.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
OMG please search (some more).

:zbash:

Here's some quick tips:

• Decide for yourself what the problem most likely is
  • Address said problem
  • Drive the car to see if it still vibrates
  • Move on to next possibility
  • Repeat the process
Based on what you said. I'd say driveshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG please search (some more).

:zbash:

Here's some quick tips:

• Decide for yourself what the problem most likely is
  • Address said problem
  • Drive the car to see if it still vibrates
  • Move on to next possibility
  • Repeat the process

I did search and have been reading. If everybody just searched forums then most forums would die due to no traffic and just a bunch of lurkers.
Basically all that will lead me to do is a guessing game, throwing money at each
issue which is the wrong way to actually fix any vehicle in my opinion. It may happen anyways but I can narrow it down with other opinions or members who have had AND fixed their issue.

I did give my thoughts as to what I think it is, I was just seeing what others might think. Guess I apologize for wanting others more expert opinions.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
It's probably a combination of things.

This is a very common question that's why I was miffed to see it again.

Ok, here's my guess in order of easiest to most expensive:

• Tires - they're either out of balance or worn unevenly
  • Alignment - will cause vibration and uneven tire wear
  • Suspension - worn components will cause play in the suspension and vibration.
  • Driveshaft - Ford's wonderful crimped two-piece design is a major source of vibration - Get a custom 1 piece from Dynotech via Supercoupeperformance.com or a salvage Mark VIII DS or a custom shaft from another souce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its fine. I knew when I posted it I would get people saying the normal "search" because it is common by my searching. Half the problem is though and it's with most boards is people post their problems, but never their fixes.

I appreciate your advice though and will probably start with the tires. I know the person we bought it from said they were recently replaced within the past year so maybe they were not balance properly or out. Thats what I hope at least for an easy fix.

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
No disrespect intended, but a bad alignment WILL NOT cause a vibration. Sorry, it is just a pet peeve of mine that people think this.

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
No offence taken.

Agreed. A bad alignment causes other issues and should be avoided regardless.

Nice car coolhand, I like your choice of mods they look a lot like mine :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
I actually just was wondering the same thing as this and decided it is my driveshaft! Now to see how much one is gonna cost me out of a yard.. any year specifically I should be looking for?

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Its fine. I knew when I posted it I would get people saying the normal "search" because it is common by my searching. Half the problem is though and it's with most boards is people post their problems, but never their fixes.

I appreciate your advice though and will probably start with the tires. I know the person we bought it from said they were recently replaced within the past year so maybe they were not balance properly or out. Thats what I hope at least for an easy fix.

Thanks!
I'm with you on the tire balance issue. Tire balance vibrations come in pretty sharply at a certain speed and (usually) smooth out at a higher speed. Plus it's cheap as hell to get them balanced.
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
I'll bet you a beer that if you take the driveshaft out and shake it, it will rattle.

Been there, done that, 2x. :mad:

Search my posts; most of my ordeal is documented here. :)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Just got new tires myself. Vibration gone.

Mine was a set of bad Goodyears.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I bet you threw a wheel weight, done it myself with my aftermarket wheels. Plus most shops only blanace wheels to 45-55mph because is the most cost effective and covers most legal speeds well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts