TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, last Summer I began to work on my Uncle's '97 Thunderbird. It had been sitting in his backyard for about 3 years and I had taken notice of it. I asked him why it wasn't running, etc. Well after some diagnosing, I had figured out the fuel pump was bad. Got a new fuel pump, and 11 hours of work later (first time doing the job, and I'm a nooby 17-year-old), it starts right up! It's been about six months since then, and we've ripped the seats out, given it a good cleaning, replaced all four tires, plugs, wires, and all the fluids, except for oil (Waiting for time to get it done). It runs decently now, but not up to par. When you are accelerating very slowly, say out of a driveway, it'll get a pretty bad vibration. But other than that, there is none what-so-ever. Could this be linked to the oil needing changing?

Also, after doing the seats, the lock/unlock stopped working. Whenever you hit unlock, all the lights in the car go dim, and when you hit lock nothing happens. We're not exactly sure of where to begin, but may check the wires that run under the driver side seat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Not sure about the lights/locks, but as for the vibration upon accel. I would think maybe it's trans / TC shudder...how is the trans fluid? A fluid/filter change will probably do wonders on that trans...and change the oil....3+ years of sitting is bad for fluids....how many miles on that one anyway?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the lights/locks, but as for the vibration upon accel. I would think maybe it's trans / TC shudder...how is the trans fluid? A fluid/filter change will probably do wonders on that trans...and change the oil....3+ years of sitting is bad for fluids....how many miles on that one anyway?

Alright. The trans fluid could probably use changing as well. My Uncle actually HAD to drive the car to work today.. It's not ideal on the oil, but there was nothing he could do about it. He seems to think the transmission could probably use some fluid, so I'll look into it.

122k, A little under what it should be at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid made a world of difference in my car. Just make sure to use the proper fluid.

And

Change the oil!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I agree with changing the trans fluid. Make sure that you drain the torque converter out as well and ONLY use Mercon V fluid. It will take about 13qts to fill if you drain the converter as well.

Another thing to do it clean the MAF. Get the CRC MAF cleaner and do it with that. Search here and there are writeups on how to do it if you are not sure. One more thing...... check for vacuum leaks, especially the elbow at the back of the plentum and the hose along the passanger side wheel well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added some transmission fluid.. Thing was almost dry. Helped quite a bit...

Well, my aunt went and took it to the gas station to get some gas.. As soon as it was done fueling up, gas started pouring out. Uncle had to drive it home, and it left a trail all the way home. Checked all the fuel hoses and could find nothing that was disconnected.. :confused:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
sometimes that can happen if the person filling it up continues to try to top it off well beyond it's capacity...20 gallons in an 18 gallon tank, ya know ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts