TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what could cause a vibration on start up. Its for about 2 seconds and thats all it lasts. Is there a common problem that is with these cars. Also could this vibration be associated with a bad torque convertor because I think I have torque convertor shutter. I had the system flushed but they didn't change the filter. They only flushed the system. Is the filter a problem or do you think I should be fine. The filter was replaced about 2 years ago or 15000 miles. Thanks for any help

·
8,239 Posts
To cure most tc shudder problems, the correct fluid must be used, and it must be clean. Also you need a new filter.

I would say that if you can change oil, you can probably change trans fluid. There are very good instructions in the tech articles, about pumping it out through the lines.

I would pump all the fluid out, clean the pan and magnet, and replace the filter with a new one. Then I would fill the system with mercon v, 6 quarts then shift, then the rest. Then I would install a transmission cooler.

Justin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i got a tranny cooler. How much does it cost for the filter and fluid. Also are there any additive you would add to get rid of the shudder. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
726 Posts
12 quarts of mercon v is about $32 here. You will need an extra quart or maybe two to compensate for the cooler. You don't need any extra additive, the merc. v should eliminate (or come really close to eliminating) the shudder.

·
Registered
246 Posts
tc shudder

I operated my 94 bird with a tc shudder for about two years cause money was very tight. finally paid her off and now the work is begining. One month she has been paid for and I have put in an alternator, water pump, vacuum t and hoses and a torque converter. My torque converter opened up the front seal and after having the front seal replaced it reopened it two days later. That is when I found out the tc needed replacing. Got a rebuilt tc installed for $101.75cad plus the front seal for $210.00cad. total $311.75cad including parts. That is only about $200.00usd.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheap

that is really cheap ford quoted my 780 for the front seal and the torque convertor replacement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts