TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i said thats it...I'm pissed. So up on a lift the car went, I pulled the rear differential mount off the car, drilled a 1/2" hole through one side and out the other. Bouught a 4" long grade 8 bolt, 2 washers, a nut and a locking washer, and bolted it together. WELL HOLLY CRAP!!! I get on the highway, get up to 70...nothing, 80....nothing, 90...nothing...COP!! (just kidding). The vibration is gone!!! WooooHoooo!!! Plus, wheel hop has been cut drastically! And When I hit second gear hard the mount doesnt shift and clunk against the frame, and second gear wheel hop is gone. Its great.

I can't guarentee that this will fix everyones wheel hop...but i dont hear it mentioned that much as a fix for the problem. Some of you guys should try it. Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
I tried the same thing more or less. I made a adjustable rear mount so I could change the pinion angle but it didn't help and I still had the axle hop. I'm glad to hear it worked for you !! The 4 inch aluminium drive shaft was the cure for me.

Did you allways have the vibration or did it just start after the T-45 swap ?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the vibration before the swap...but at 110mph. I was getting it a 65 with the T-45. But then I did bust an engine mount with the T45, and tore the rear differential mount with the T45 too. Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
CobraRThunder said:
I had the vibration before the swap...but at 110mph. I was getting it a 65 with the T-45. But then I did bust an engine mount with the T45, and tore the rear differential mount with the T45 too. Chris
:eek: :eek: :eek: You'r an animal :D It must be the kick you get from the N.O.S.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
looks like i have a new project to work on. Of course my MMC driveshaft going next week will get rid of alot of it;)

joseph

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well I did this, and i have to say. My Pumpkin Clunk is finally gone away, I used to hear it on the Downshifts, or when i put the car in "D" or "R". The Shifts are firmer now also. On the other hand, is this bad for the rear diff cover at all? Seems like it might be putting stress on the cover when it tries to move and the bolt stops the diff mount from moving. What's the real deal on that? I'd hate to break the rear cover because of 2.50$ Nut and Bolt.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHAT you DO?!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I nailed the gas leaving a stopsign in my splitport tbird. The car spun for about two feet then hooked and POW! The car pulled hard to the right. I coasted down the street to a driveway and looked under the car to see the damage:

This was with the FRPP centersection (3.73's and T-Loc) and 255's on V6 halfshafts, so I was pretty much waiting for it to happen.

Needless to say, I was on the cell phone right away to call my dad for the trailer. :D

Now this car has the SC 5-speed halfshafts, with no problems since.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you did that with a V6?! I got me A 4.6L 5-Speed, and I launch it on the street pretty hard and bang the gears...and I have to FRPP centersection as well....hope mine doesnt snap. Chris

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What do you think went first, the half shaft which then broke the center section, or the center section which then broke the half shaft?

I'm thinking the center section went first, but what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Did this have poly bushings from mn12perf? I wonder if it had stock rubber mounts that were letting too much flex happen around the diff...

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the cause was that the stock rubber diff bushings allowed the centersection to twist, breaking the diff cover and then the halfshaft. The bushings were not worn out, but they were the stock rubber style. I forgot to mention that the car also has the poly diff bushings now.

And yes, that was with a splitport 3.8L from a 2000 mustang, only making 165 rwhp.

-Rod

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sooo, hows the old bolt-thru-the-mount holding up to your 5spd? I'm considering doing it myself.
-Rob

·
Registered
809 Posts
Rob said:
Sooo, hows the old bolt-thru-the-mount holding up to your 5spd? I'm considering doing it myself.
-Rob
Mines holding up just fine, 2 years and counting.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like my bolt is working good. Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Awesome. Thanks man
-Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a little different problem . I just replaced my mark VIII AODE trans and now it feels like it is locking up at low speeds between 30-45 . it only does it under low acceleration or when your trying to maintain speed.Any idea's ?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
COnverter issues...? Why did you replace your tranmission? And did you get a new converter or use the old converter that came from the original blown-up tranmission? Always replace your converter when you replace a failed transmission. Chris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hmmmm....I was thinking aobut going to u-pull it and snagging one to send of to have polyurethane put in, but maybe I'll try this instead?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts