TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a driveline vibration problem that I'm just starting to troubleshoot and diagnose. It is present at all speeds, and increases with and increase in speed. When coasting, the vibration is eliminated by 85% or so. It's not TC shudder, I have it too, but it's a different problem I believe.

First question: If a TC is way shot, can it cause a vibration at all speeds that quits when you let up on the gas?

Second question: If it's not the TC or any of the obvious thing (tires, wheels, shot IRS bushings) what is the most probable thing to check next?

Thanks...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine does the same thing and I got tired of hearing "check the springs, balance tires, check the shocks, etc". Well i finally went back to the tire shop and watched them balance my tires. Turns out that 2 of my 17's were slightly bent around the inside lip. When I accelerate at/above 50mph it will feel like its vibrating but when i cruise it will smooth out unless I swerve or switch lanes then the bent rims wobble and it takes them awhile to get back on track. Once they are straight it's smooth. This may not be your problem but I doubt it's the TC or tranny. Both of mine are rebuilt and it still vibrates. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would also check the u-joints in the driveshaft. I get a vibration sometimes, but it goes away when I grease the u-joints.

Worth checking anyway,
Rob

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I've had locking nuts on the rear wheels that I didn't have a key for. I fixed that problem this weekend and will be installing the rims and tires from my Cougar and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be swapping the driveshaft from my Cougar. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be back looking for suggestions....

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i had a nasty vibration at highway speeds. i personally balanced the tires 3 different times. problem never went away. finally went to sullivan tire and had the tires roadforce balanced. cost me $40. best $40 i ever spent...no vibration up to 95 mph. may be higher as well, but didn't check!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
It pretty much sounds like the guys got it covered. A vibration that increases with speed usually indicates it's in the drive train. A bent rim, So would an "out of round" tire. This usually means that the tread needs to be shaved to true it up. Yea, I would check U-joints, drive shaft (may of thrown a weight), and just for kicks, motor mounts and trans. mount. A Very remote possablity could be a cracked flex plate (flywheel), or torque convertor bolt. Good luck!! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts