TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on is that, as soon as my transmission shifts into 3rd and locks up it sends a shake through the body and makes the steering wheel vibrate. It gets better if i back off the throttle but in turn it gets worse when I load it up when its locked up.

I have replaces alot of things to try to hunt this down including:
Inner tie rods
Outer Tie rods
Tires
Harmonic damper
Mounts
Rims
Gears
Poly rack bushings
Steeda X2 ball joints
Poly A-arm bushings

I have a 4R70W in my 2000 Mustang GT. It has a J-mod, PI 3,500 converter, 3.73s, poly mounts and an aluminum DS.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Stupid question but...

Have you checked to see if anything is loose?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would check your wheel bearings.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
You're certain the problem isn't the torque converter? If you're getting vibration issues with lockup that's what I'd look into first. Fresh Merc-V and such?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything up front is tight and is all installed correctly.

My wheels dont have that hushed grinding noise that comes with bad bearings. There is also no loose feel.

The torque converter is a Precision Industries Stallion multi disk, lock-up, 3,500stall. It only has about 10k miles on it. No track time and im the only owner. My fluid should be good, it was replaced 14k miles ago along with the filter. I could drain the converter and change the filter just to see.

·
Banned
613 Posts
how about also just balancing your wheels lol happened to my friends once. his weight fell on one and the other was messed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wheels are freshly balanced and PI is one of the top companies out there. I have heard complaints about Dirty Dog. Plus my situation gets very noticeable after it locks up in 3rd. Im also wondering if it could be that 4R70W driveshaft yoke.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Yeah PI's are freaking awesome. Their paper clutches and rattling plates are awesome. Mine slips for about 1000 rpm after the 1-2 shift. You can see it in the data logs. It tries to lock up then finally succeeds at 5300 rpm or so. I used a dirty dog converter for almost 2 years with no problems. What exactly have these complaints been?

Also to touch on th pi failure. I'm not the only one. There are a few posts around here that have pictures of these failures. Most send the converter to DirtyDog or circle D to have the clutches swapped out adding even more cost to an already over priced converter

·
Registered
704 Posts
I and 99% of the racers I know with automatics use Circle D.

they are second to NONE in the torque converter industry.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah PI's are freaking awesome. Their paper clutches and rattling plates are awesome. Mine slips for about 1000 rpm after the 1-2 shift. You can see it in the data logs. It tries to lock up then finally succeeds at 5300 rpm or so.
Awesome!!!

lolz

·
Banned
613 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if your talking about Garbage company's then YES P.I. is one of the TOP for sure.
What are you in second grade? It may not be some $1200 converter but of the tons of research ive done ive heard of very few complaints verses many guys that love them. They are built solid and are very good quality. My Precision Industries Stallion 3,500 Multi disk lock up hasn't given me any trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What are you in second grade? It may not be some $1200 converter but of the tons of research ive done ive heard of very few complaints verses many guys that love them. They are built solid and are very good quality. My Precision Industries Stallion 3,500 Multi disk lock up hasn't given me any trouble.
I hate to jump in cause I have no experience with either PI's, DD's, or anybody elses performance torque converter for that matter, but that being said...

Did you not start this thread complaining about a lot of vehicle shutter when the converter tries / does lock up? I'm sorry, you didn't say it happens during lock-up, but you DID say it happens when it shifts into 3rd and the converter locks up?!? Wait a minute...

Floordford said:
What is going on is that, as soon as my transmission shifts into 3rd and locks up it sends a shake through the body and makes the steering wheel vibrate. It gets better if i back off the throttle but in turn it gets worse when I load it up when its locked up.
So now you have a few members bad-mouthing PI converters and blaming it for your shutter problems. You asked for everyone's advice and just plain don't like what they're telling you because you think everyone here is biased toward DirtyDog's TC's. Maybe they are a little, but that's only because of SO MANY happy customers of his here ... maybe? I'm just saying...

Maybe the responses you got weren't very delicate or gentle, but at least they were honest. There's no need to get so defensive or upset.

·
Registered
704 Posts
for the record, I'm not biased to Dirtyd0g converters...

I've had several friends that had bad experiences with PI converters, but they had vehicles that were actually making power, so they needed to "STEP UP" and get a Circle D.

If a PI converter wont stand up to a 250RWHP Tbird or mustang, then I think that is really ALL that needs to be said.

IMHO putting a PI converter in a car is a waste of transmission fluid.

I agree with Netkeym, it's likely the PI converter with its well known shudder issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard to say. I know ive had it in for over 12k mi. And if i remember its always done it. I just thought it was part of not having my lock up shifted to a higher speed. Its still on the stock lock up program. 22mph or so with a 8-10 second unlock delay after hitting the brake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, an update. I ended up curing 95% of the problem by taking the shift firmness down to -25%. That is an adjustment from +25%. Then I added 2mph to the shift of 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. It was at stock shift speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts