TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've been trying to chase a vibration problem for quite some time. I've read up a lot of what has been posted before, but the problem i'm having is that when i LET GO of the gas pedal i have vibration. I've had the tires balanced 3 times in the last week and accelerating to ~80 is fine, however, once i make it there if i let go of the gas pedal (notice i didn't say anything about hitting the brakes) the car starts to vibrate a good deal. Anyone have any idea what it could be? The rotors and pads are brand new , and it's not brake related anyways since it has nothing to do w/ hitting the brakes, just letting go of the gas.

I also notice that if i drive for a long time (i.e. ~1.5 hours or more at highway speeds) once i get off the highway, when i make turns i can hear a grinding noise sometimes. I have a 3.27 trac-lok stock, could this be related to my vibration problem?

·
The Parts Guy
7,309 Posts
My 94 did the exact same thing (except for the grinding noise). I had the driveshaft balanced and replaced the diff bushings with poly ones from MN12performance and that cured it.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I have the same vibes. My $$ is on the suspension rubber, like racecougar said.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
One other thing to check is the wheel bearings. I had the problem with the SC I had. Left Rear bearing was shot, now I carry a spare.

(I paid over $100 for new wheel bearing at the shop. I got my spare off of eBay for under $20!)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Check the drive shaft bolts!!! I had mine come loose some how and it did the same thing, Shook my car like no other. Be sure to use some locktight on the bolts if they have come loose. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Here are some symptoms and problems:

Low pitch rumble at all speeds over 20 MPH; fluctuating noise when turning: Worn carrier bearings.

Banging or clunking while making a turn, backing up, and/or on freeway off ramp. Gets worse with higher temp: Posi chatter due to improper lubrication, worn clutches, worn spider gears, or improper assembly.

Banging or clunking while making a turn. Heat does not effect: Broken or badly worn spider gears.

Rumble or clicking noise that worsens on hard turns: Bad wheel bearings.

Cyclic vibration (unsteady in intensity), more pronounced over specific speed range. Worsens when decelerating: Pinion angle too low, needs to be parallel with front yoke.

Cyclic vibration (unsteady in intensity), more pronounced over specific speed range. Worsens when accelerating: Pinion angle is too high, needs to be parallel with front yoke.

Banging or heavy clicking every 8 feet during acceleration or deceleration: Broken or damaged pinion gear tooth or teeth.

Banging or heavy clicking every 2-3 feet during acceleration or deceleration: Broken or damaged pinion gear tooth or teeth.

Banging or heavy clicking every 8 feet while either accelerating or decelerating, but not both: High spot or heavy chip in pinion gear tooth.

Banging or heavy clicking every 2-3 feet while either accelerating or decelerating, but not both: High spot or heavy chip in pinion gear tooth.

Clicking while decelerating from 20 mph to a stop: Worn carrier case-side bores.

Steady vibration that increases with speed: Worn u-joint or driveshaft is out of balance.

Clunk just after taking off from a stop: Worn slip yoke splines.

Clunk when getting on the throttle (taking off): Worn U-Joints, worn spider gears, worn axle splines, excessive backlash, loose yoke splines, or worn slip yoke splines.

Driveline squeaking or grinding at speed: Worn or damaged U-Joints.

Whirling during decelerating/ accelerating above 10 mph, possible rumble: Worn pinion bearings.

Gear set howls after install: Faulty design or improper installation.

Howl while accelerating over a small speed range (previously quiet): Worn gear set due to lubrication failure or overloading.

Howl while accelerating at all speeds without whir or rumble (previously quiet): Worn gear set due to lubrication failure or overloading.

Howl while accelerating at all speeds, accompanied by a whir or rumble (previously quiet): Worn rear pinion bearing and possibly worn gear set.

Howl while decelerating (previously quiet): Loose pinion bearing preload.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts