TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 t-bird 4.6L

The problem is when i drive 50+mph then step on the break the steering wheel vibrates real bad like the car is going to fall apart. I still have complete control of the car and everything its just really annoying. Scares me a bit. I have ceramic brakes with about 5k on them. I never changed the rotors since ive had the car. (Has 160,000 miles). (got it at 125k) Looks like they were changed before and don't look too bad, i might have to check again tho. But the thing is the braking is nice and smooth at lower speeds. Also ive had an alignment done a year ago.

Should i just change the rotors and pads? or tie rods?

any suggestions would help..thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Warped rotors... extremely easy to do on these cars. I had a warping rotor problem that never really went away until I did the PBR upgrade... but you can minimize the problem by bedding in new pads/rotors correctly (slowly) and having the lug nuts always torqued to spec.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Make sure you get Motorcraft or better. I had duralast gold on mine (supposedly their best) they didn't last a year.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would put on new rotors and always torque the lug nuts to the proper spec using a torque wrench. Proper spec for you is 85-104 ft-lb.

Agreed with above guys, buy good quality rotors, not cheap Chinese junk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope its just the rotors. i tested it out some more today on the freeway and it also vibrates the wheel even when i let off the gas from a high speed(without braking) its pretty weird. i have a feeling it could be something else. i think i want to give the new rotors a try though...tires are good also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts