TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried searching...but i am a newbie...

my car has a vibration at idle, that gets worse until ~1200 RPM, and then goes away above that...

recent repairs include -
IAC (thanks to this board, that humming annoyed me forever...)
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor
fuel filter
air filter
ran the koeo, and engine running tests and checked for stored codes - no codes present
pcv valve/screen
oil pan gasket
transmission checked by tranny shop - no go, all good

i am not particualrly mechanically inclined, i don't know if it is a miss or something off balance...(the tune up is making me lean against a miss...)

happens in drive, or park...

sorry for the long post as my first...
thanks for your thoughts-

·
Registered
773 Posts
Check your fireing order you may have gotten a plug wire crossed. also could have a misgapped plug. was it doing it before you tuned it up?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Check your motor mounts, the rubber is probably spilt and will cause idle and
vibration problems. Also your crank shaft dampner (attached to flyweight where
timing marks are) will cause vibration if loose. Unfortunetly I am not sure
how to check the dampner other than removing the flyweight from the crank.

Chris................

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Having just survived a problem like yours (exactly – tried tune up and...),
I can suggest that you take a moment and scoff and scowl at your harmonic balancer !

I re-gapped every plug (twice), pulled every newly made wire, checked the brand new cap and rotor, on and on I went. BUT THEN I decided to break out the good old timing light and to my surprise I had 30 degrees of advance – that isn’t happening in our lifetime.

After shutting the motor down I was able to rotate the outer ring on the balancer. Not Good. 2 hours later (which includes the parts store trip for the balancer) car was back to normal. I expended a lot more energy finding this problem than fixing it.

Hope this helps,
Preston

·
Registered
324 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
Having just survived a problem like yours (exactly – tried tune up and...),
I can suggest that you take a moment and scoff and scowl at your harmonic balancer !

Harmonic balancer, that's the term I was looking for :D

Chris...........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm... harmonic balancer, eh?

i have never set my timing, nor do i have any knowledge of what the harmonic balancer is/does, so i will research into that...

if it seems to be the culprit i will also look into the service cd to see if i can handle it...

if i decide against doing it myself, any ideas on a ballpark charge for a mechanic to do it?

you guys are good-
thanks for the lead

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I really can't see it taking more then 2 hours for a competent paid ‘wrench turner’ to do.
I wouldn’t do a lot of driving until you have it fixed, the vibrations can be very destructive (seals, bearings, crankshaft... ).

The complete process requires the removal of only about 10 bolts and screws, the fan (and shroud), the serpentine belt, accessory drive pulley and one normally very stubborn balancer.

The balancer removal requires the use of a balancer puller (fairly cheap) and something to keep the engine from turning, I use a large strap wrench.

I admit that my garage looks like repair shop and I love to do this stuff but a weekend mechanic should have no problem. Here is your chance to earn your stripes as a grease monkey like the rest of us !

Hope this helps,
Preston

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately, I did not earn my "stripes" on this one...

however, the diagnoses of a harmonic balancer was right on the money...

it is odd that I had to get a second opinion though, the first shop looked at it all morning and still thought I had a miss

the second shop took very little time and confirmed a harmonic balancer

~200 bucks later my cat is purring like she should

Thank you all-
Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts