TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sleeper: A car that looks like your typical daily or beater on the outside but will consistently put down "the hurt" on v8 / turbo'ed / supercharged sports cars such as Camaros, Mustangs, Fairlady Z, EVOs, WRX / STI, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Sleeper: A car that looks like your typical daily or beater on the outside but will consistently put down "the hurt" on v8 / turbo'ed / supercharged sports cars such as Camaros, Mustangs, Fairlady Z, EVOs, WRX / STI, etc.
What the hell is a Fairlady Z? Is that like the Nissan Z equivalent to a truck being called a Lorry overseas? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
What the hell is a Fairlady Z? Is that like the Nissan Z equivalent to a truck being called a Lorry overseas? :tongue:
Its actually what they branded the Zcars in Japan.
-g

IMO, the march of technology makes taking a 30yr old car "put the hurt" on a modern car that much harder now.
Think of the cost to take even a modular 4.6L to the 400HP level and compare that to what a few year old modern car can put out today.
The only thing going for older cars (well, older cars which aren't the tbird) is they can be much lighter weight b/c of the easier regulations around crash resistance when mfg.

400HP in a car that weighs only 2800LB is a lot scarier than 400HP in a car that tips the scales at 3800LB.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Its actually what they branded the Zcars in Japan.
-g

IMO, the march of technology makes taking a 30yr old car "put the hurt" on a modern car that much harder now.
Think of the cost to take even a modular 4.6L to the 400HP level and compare that to what a few year old modern car can put out today.
The only thing going for older cars (well, older cars which aren't the tbird) is they can be much lighter weight b/c of the easier regulations around crash resistance when mfg.

400HP in a car that weighs only 2800LB is a lot scarier than 400HP in a car that tips the scales at 3800LB.
Sleeper seems to be more of a fashion statement than an actual capable ringer in a drag race now. I’m not “putting the hurt” on anything that impressive with a 300 horsepower 4.6, yet sleeper is the most common comment I get with it from strangers. Considering it has a noisy exhaust, big mustang wheels and looks nothing like any car made in the last 20 years(which is probably what attracted their attention in the first place) it seems pretty counter to the idea to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What the hell is a Fairlady Z? Is that like the Nissan Z equivalent to a truck being called a Lorry overseas?
240Z/260Z/280Z/300ZX/350Z/370Z are all referred to as "Fairlady" in Japan.

I’m not “putting the hurt” on anything that impressive with a 300 horsepower 4.6, yet sleeper is the most common comment I get with it from strangers.
I myself don't really consider my ride a "sleeper" with the same 300 horsepower, the term doesn't really apply since the only stomping we'd really do is on junk with less than 400hp these days... but I do like to refer to my engine as "optimized" since there's no real high-performance stuff on it aside from the throttle body.

·
Registered
244 Posts
AED= Hellcats worst nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will put a hurtin on an stock 80's model corvette at a stoplight.

That's awesome! Thanks for the laugh.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
AED= Hellcats worst nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will put a hurtin on an stock 80's model corvette at a stoplight.

That's awesome! Thanks for the laugh.
+1

Now, that's funny. :tongue:

At least he has a sense of humor. It reminds me of the 1MTNCAT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
https://youtu.be/iqm9sYQmmlY

what do you think? what makes a sleeper?
I'd say he's mostly right though the video itself seems to be simply an excuse for him to brag about his own Cougar. I think the rims almost take his Cougar out of "sleeper" category although I guess most people ditch the boring factory rims (I did) so maybe not.

I've always understood a "sleeper" to be a car that looks stock, like really stock, yet is high performance. That doesn't mean it will win every race, it merely means it looks boring/stock but will eat alive any actual stock version of itself while also going faster and handling better that it should and beating many cars in a street race. Back in the day that usually meant a fast car that didn't sound all that fast (lopey cam, obvious header sound) while also having stock steel rims/tires and no stripes/call-outs/scoops. Something your dad would drive. The most effective sleepers were the 4-doors and the station wagons that were modified.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Q

I'd say he's mostly right though the video itself seems to be simply an excuse for him to brag about his own Cougar. I think the rims almost take his Cougar out of "sleeper" category although I guess most people ditch the boring factory rims (I did) so maybe not.

I've always understood a "sleeper" to be a car that looks stock, like really stock, yet is high performance. That doesn't mean it will win every race, it merely means it looks boring/stock but will eat alive any actual stock version of itself while also going faster and handling better that it should and beating many cars in a street race. Back in the day that usually meant a fast car that didn't sound all that fast (lopey cam, obvious header sound) while also having stock steel rims/tires and no stripes/call-outs/scoops. Something your dad would drive. The most effective sleepers were the 4-doors and the station wagons that were modified.

Agreed. A sleeper would be a 1973 Nova with a big 427 or 454 under the hood, base trim, steelies, and a quiet exhaust (with cutouts of course) or in modern terms maybe a V6 Mustang with an EB swapped in to wake it up.

A Q-ship is another old favorite of mine. Looks very pedestrian, especially to those not in the know, but has serious performance right out of the box. The Fox Body LX Mustang 5.0 was almost a Q-Ship, but the first and second gen SHO were definitely Q Ships. They were fast, fun cruisers that didn't get the attention of the boys in blue, where a sleeper was something that you'd use to hustle teenagers on the back roads with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts