TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this email today, Is this possable? I would think that the dealer would verify that you own the car.

>> VIN number theft (Vehicle Identification Number)

>> It seems that car thieves have found another way to
>> steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The
>> car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or
>> truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the
>> dash, go to the local car dealership and request a
>> duplicate key based on the VIN number.
>>
>> The car dealer's parts dept. will make a duplicate key
>> from the VIN number and collect payment from the thief
>> who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break
>> in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to
>> himself.
>>
>> All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the
>> key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your
>> vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To
>> avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape
>> (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across
>> the VIN label located on the dash board.
>>
>> By law, you cannot remove the VIN number, but you can
>> cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield
>> by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your
>> friends before some other car thief steals another car
>> or truck.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Get a dash mat. I have to move them all the time to check VINs on traffic stops all the time. NO idea on the ease of getting the new key from the dealership. I gues it's something to look into. Having an alarm is another good idea. That way it takes mre than just the key.

·
Registered
493 Posts
SAAB keys are stainless steel laser cut, so copies usually dont work too well.
I went to a dealer and had to show my registration and an ID.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
When I got my Thunderbird It only had 1 key ( NO trunk key) and gave them my VIN to get another key, NO questions were asked...... they called me about an hour later and told me that ford didn't start keeping VIN/KEY information until 1997/1998. SO I had to buy a new trunk lock set.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
rancherlee is correct, ford didnt start recording codes till late 96 /97 and even then its still a fifty fifty chance. with more of the late models using pats keys, its impossible for someone to just get a key cut and take the car or truck, it wont start!
besides we do ask for id when we cut keys for a car or truck and some form of ownership.

·
Registered
120 Posts
a couple of my friends do that, (for there job) all the time, a few of them work for this Re-Po place, instead of breaking into your car, they go a night or 2 or a week before they want it, get the VIN # then go get a key made, then they just take it....thats what people get for not paying there bills..if you seen this done its probably re-po people, and they usually dont have any info on them or identification...because i asked my friend about it, i said you dont have a identification card or anything or special clothing ? he said nope..just comes up with a story like "i thought that was my car it was stolen a little while ago" if you catch him taking cars....but they are required to call the police to let them know there taking it before they do it (think its a law).. so when they report it stolen to the police, the police will just say no it hasnt been stolen, its been confisgated....very dangerous job, my friends only get like 50-75 bucks a car..almost got beat up a few time also... i wonder if ford would ask for some ID or something...just my 2 cents.. Alex LaChance

·
Registered
498 Posts
According to local police in Oklahoma, its illegal to have anything obstructing view of the VIN #. A cop wrote my mom up for that. I think thats the weakest ticket ever.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Dude, you need at least one of the original PATS keys to creat/assign a new one and have it work...so it's not likeyly this would work. My focus has PATS keys.

Earl

·
8,239 Posts
if somebody were going to steal the car, I say let them have it. There is always room to get something new and nicer. I'm not saying don't lock your doors, but I really can't see this happening for someone who is driving a 7+ ford anything, unless it has those "steal me" stickers on it saying what kind of stereo equipment you have in the trunk.

JH

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
OK ..... yes its true that if a theif went to a dealership they have a code book that has all key codes ... first thing you have to do is get a manager to login to qcdealer.com and have clearance to get the key code ... then once the key code is obtained it can be decrypted with a code book. It will give the #s for each tumbler thats in you ignition ... there is a new policy that has gone into effect within the last few months that the dealership CANNOT cut your key w/o drivers liscence, and proof of ownership (title, insurance card, etc) ... they keep all this info on record also.
with PATS keys one will not start the car if it has not been programmed ... if you lose the only key you have; you will need to buy 2 PATS keys and have them programmed in. Programming takes a min of 10 min wait time to gain security access. If you have 2 keys and would like to program a 3rd, then insert 1st key, turn to koeo position til antitheft light goes off, then repeat with 2nd key, finally insert last key and after antitheft light goes off all keys programmed; if you have more keys to program continue with unprogrammed keys ... only way this will not work is if someone has disabled programming additional keys in the PATS module; default is enabled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts